Air Brushing Fondant & Buttercream

Decorating By minicoopermel Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 7:21pm by costumeczar

minicoopermel Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

I'm thinking about getting into air brushing. I'm thinking it would cut down the waste I have with colored fondant. I use MMF and I'm constantly throwing colors away.  

So I wanted to get advice and see if people have used them or anything.

Also if you have this set up what brand would you recommend?

7 replies
cakedout Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 8

I know there are several good models out there, but at the time I started using the air brush(years ago!) I just purchased a single-action Air Master by Kopykake and it served my needs just fine and dandy.  I did mostly backgrounds, shading, shading GP flowers and that sort of thing.

If you are planning on getting more into the 'painting', you will probably be better off getting a double-action style in a brand that offers finer control. 

Cali6422 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 8

I’m only a hobby baker, but like you, I was a little tired of coloring (and wasting) fondant. I’m also not a fan of the taste and altered consistency darker tinted colors of frosting take on.  That got me to splurge on an airbrush system.  I’ve not looked back … I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

I believe the compressor brand I have is ‘Master’.  Since getting the basic setup, I’ve upgraded to an Iwata gravity feed airbrush (with the larger size cup where you put the color).  I’ve been extremely happy with both of these items.  I can surface color buttercream or cream cheese frostings (for darker colors, I just build up light coats and allow them to dry in between).  It also works like a charm on fondant.

As an added bonus, the ‘starter’ airbrushes that I originally purchased and were not great for detail work on cakes, are now used exclusively for crafts.  They work great for stenciling, small painting projects, etc.

minicoopermel Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for replying so quick!! I appreciate the feedback.  

Does it take a long time to get good at it? 

Is there a bad overspray?   

I have used the spray cans from wilton to make things like silver or gold and I image it's something like that but maybe cleaner and not to runny or messy. 

Honey6983 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 8

I started off with a Badger bakery airbrush and a general pneumatic (small) compressor and have loved it. I use it mostly for shading and doing gold/silver over buttercream. I also spray all my cakes with a luster dust finish with the airbrush. Once in a while I'll have fun with patterns and stencils. I have it set up in a separate area of my basement and there is some overspray, so I wouldn't recommend having any valuables around your setup. I have lots of storage items down there in rubbermaid tubs so they can be wiped off and I take my airbrush table outside every few months and hose it off!

Cali6422 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 8

Unfortunately I do not a designated area for spraying ... It's all on my kitchen table so I have to try to minimize over-spray as much as possible. 

I construct a makeshift 'spray booth'  by using those tri-fold type of folding boards like kids use for science fair experiments.  Then I put a piece of plastic drop cloth over the table and a piece of clear plastic across the top of the cardboard.  As long as I make sure the A/C or Heat is not running while I'm doing the actual spraying, I don't have a problem with over-spray.

minicoopermel Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 8

I'm so excited.  I have only seen a few people who don't like them but they really don't say why. 

Is there special colors I need to buy? or can I use like wilton & americolor in the machine?

costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 8

I do all of my airbrushing outside. The overspray is dangerous, it will float through and get on every surface. It's also not good to inhale it.

You can use regular americolor or wilton.

Be careful spraying on buttercream because too much of it will make the icing taste terrible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%