Can You Add Ingredients To Already Made And Chilled Sugar Cookie Dough ?

Baking By dgonzalez227 Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 8:03pm by Pastrybaglady

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 10:51am
post #1 of 17

I made a big batch of chocolate sugar cookies 

But only baked a few to be test cookies .

... they ended up coming out sort of thin and they taste alright but maybe need more sugar or flavor .. 

my dough has been sitting in the fridge for two days and what I wanted to know if  I add more ingredients  to the chilled dough once I take it out to room temp or am I stuck using what I have already made ?

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 11:52am
post #2 of 17

you can add stuff 

dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 17

Put it back into my kitchenaid/mix  from there and re chill ?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 17

Should you let it soften a little? I would be afraid to break the mixer. Maybe -K8memhis can chime in.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 17

You definitely need to let it soften to incorporate the new ingredients.   The biggest issue is,  all of that extra mixing is going to develop the gluten,  and lead to tough cookies.   You can let the dough sit for a few hours in the fridge again to let some of the gluten relax,  but they won't be as tender as they could have been. 

dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 17

thanks ! 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 17

yes exactly to all of the above -- the extra toughness probably won't be that noticeable especially if you are improving the taste* -- in gluten free extra mixing is of course a non factor in regular cookies yes -- so before mixing combine all the powdered ingredients together and all the liquid ingredients together then you can incorporate them more efficiently -- and you could incorporate them by hand too -- either way --

*and if these are to be iced you can bring in the big flavor bang with your icing too -- just an idea --

they'll be fine and even better for the extra flavor --

and i like to freeze my cookie dough for that extra firmness to help hold shape in the oven

and yes get it warmed up some -- well so it's not as cold -- oh hey i remember what i did -- i knew if i pecked on here long enough there was something else i could relate -- i broke it up into little pieces and i cheated i have a 12 quart mixer so it powers through anything -- and that's how you can bring it to a softer temp faster too -- spread it out on cookie sheets in little pieces --

i know this pst was ramble city but... there might be something tasty up there --

happy cookies!

dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 17

thank you! yeah i was worried my cookie dough was gonna be trashed and that maybe i used to much flour thats why they were so thin and dry. so ill try adding flavor and remixing and making them thicker.

:) 

im making paint your own cookies  and the white royal icing has vanilla in it i flavored it while mixing. 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 17

what kind of fat did you use?

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 17

and how soft was it when you incorporated it

dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 17

? im not sure i understand

i made a normal chocolate cut out sugar cookie recipe, i made some cookies to test and they were made super thin and broke after taking them out of the oven'

i need thicker cookie so wont roll it out so thin next time. 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 17

oh ok -- no my question is did you use shortening, or butter or coconut oil or what kind of fat and was it squishy soft or cold or what temperature when you mixed it in --

dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 17

it was left out the recipe called for butter room temp.. i used that 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 17

just fyi and an idea for you maybe -- i use cold butter usually cut into smaller pieces sometimes i just throw in whole chunks right out of the wrapper -- but i like to mix my butter in cold into most applications -- it makes my cookies hold shape better i think -- and the 'planetary action' of most of our mixers makes small work of completely mixing even with some chillier temps -- plus the action of the mixer warms the ingredients up also --

when you said upthread they were too thin i thought you meant they spread so that involves the butter of course -- but if you just need to roll them thicker -- cool --

don't mind me i'm thinking too much

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 17

If they are chocolate sugar cookies you can add royal icing and they'll be perfect, or go with the thin cookies and add a yummy filling for sandwich cookies.  I was just thinking about ice cream sandwiches recently - those would be good too!

dgonzalez227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 17

yeah that would be cool hehe but this time im making those paint your own cookies so i need a backround of white with black piping outlines to make a snake for the kids to paint in the lines,.

i try cutting them thicker i hope it makes them edible

ive seen cookies be so hard its unedible

those cookies premade in wrappers in the deli dept.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 17

Ewww, those are always so disappointing.  If kids are going to be handling the cookies for coloring you will definitely want them to be more sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%