Gold Stipes- What Can I Use To Get This Effect?

Decorating By suzied Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 3:11pm by Shockolata

suzied Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 9:14am
post #1 of 9

55cb0e78634ad.jpeg  I have to make a similar cake with gold stripes like the above. Can any of you experts tell me what i should use to achieve this sparkly gold, please. Because its on the cake, it will have to be edible too.

8 replies
solascakes Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 10:07am
post #2 of 9

Maybe make a white stripe and paint it gold, that'll be easier than handling an already painted fondant.

costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 9

There are very few truly edible gold colors that have that much of a metallic look to them. Painting it with a non-toxic color might be your best bet, or you can try to do it with gold leaf, but you'd have to do that then attach it to the cake after applying the leaf. The stripe in the picture is just painted, I think.

suzied Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks solascakes & costumeczar . yes its painted.  there is a bit of sparkle on the strip, just wanted to know whether it was glitter dust, shimmer, etc and what brand to use. unless i use non toxic glitter and remove the strip before eating

costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 9

If you want it to be that metallic and/or shiny, it's best to just plan on removing it before eating it.

Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 12:04am
post #6 of 9

There is gold petal dust by Sugarflair that is edible (verified) and you can brush that on with a bit of alcohol, working in small sections after you have mounted the strip on the cake. Slowly-slowly so you don't get drips. You can use a folded paper towel underneath so you can support your hand with your finger and catch any accidental drips/brushstrokes. If you did go the gold sheet way, you would need to apply the gold on the cake as you would not be able to move the gold plated strip and not destroy the effect with your fingers. Just work cleverly, not wasting any product, starting from the top of the transfer sheet, peeling away the paper, then lining it in the next section and so on. If you work carefully, which ever method you go for will look great. Can we please see the cake once it's done?

Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 12:12am
post #7 of 9

I called it petal dust because it is the first description that comes to mind, but of course the correct name is ''edible lustre''. Nothing to do with the Edable brand which has been prohibited due to containing ground up plastic glitter. Yuck! So happy I never let my kid eat those glittery cupcakes. Funny thing is I kept querying my supplier about that product because it was so iffy their description and you did not know in the end whether they were edible or not. I was worried that the many people who cannot spell would be misled. In the end, when I brought them the notice from the Food Standards Agency, they changed their descriptions to say that although non toxic it is not meant to come in contact with food or be consumed. 

suzied Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 9

 Thanks very much for all your advice. i found the perfect thing to paint the strip at the cake shop, its Rolkem sparkly gold, they say its edible, but i will still take it out before serving.  Will post the pics once i do it.

Shockolata Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 9

Checked it out. It is described as 'food touch safe' and non toxic. So I do not think it is edible otherwise there would be no need to write 'non toxic'. It is wise to remove it prior to cutting up the cake. Remember that prior to the Edable scandal, bakers were using the dusts (disco dusts, etc.) on cupcakes and people were eating them! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%