Duncan Hines Pink Velvet Cake Mix

Baking By Limpy Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 1:28am by Apti

Limpy Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 5

Just purchased some DH pink velvet cake mix as it was on sale. Have used DH in the past & used it in a "doctored" recipe (extra egg, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar & sour cream), but have never used this variety. It calls for softned butter, not oil & the box is slightly smaller, (468g, as opposed to the other varieties that are 515g). Has anyone used this variety in a doctored recipe & had success? Wondering if I should follow the cake mix extender recipe on this site and add part of a box to the box to make up the weight to 515g. I know that I can get an answer from the talented bakers on CC. Thanks in advance.

4 replies
mccantsbakes Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

I would just follow the regular WASC recipe for it.

let me know how it goes, I have seen that variety of cake in my local grocery outlet and was wondering if it tastes good. 

Limpy Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you. Anyone else tried this product?

jgifford Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 5

Unless you're making a cake larger than 8", don't worry about adding part of another box and just add your usual extras.  Use the same amount of oil you normally use.  I add 1/2 tsp almond flavoring and 1 tsp vanilla.  Mixes are usually fairly forgiving so you'll be ok.

Apti Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

I saw some on sale at the local dollar store (not a great sign of future success for the product...)   I went ahead and purchased 3 and promptly forgot them at a relative's house.  I use DH mixes exclusively when possible for my dry cake base, then add all sorts of extra ingredients to doctor-it-up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%