Tree Bark

Decorating By MaryM1 Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 2:09pm by FlourPots

MaryM1 Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 7

I have been searching for a way to "create" the tree bark look for a wedding cake & haven't been successful.  

I contacted my local cake decorating store for help.  She didn't have anything, but suggested trying a "clay molding" mold.  I've been searching for a mold ever since then.  Unfortunately, I haven't found anything.

My only other thought would be to use a piece of flooring that has the wood grain look to it ... laying a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper on top & then spreading chocolate on top to get the bark look.

I have found molds on line, but they won't get here in time

Any thoughts or suggestions?

6 replies
Shockolata Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 7

Can't Amazon send something to you quickly? They are pretty good here in the UK. There is a wood grain imprint mat in shops but if your local ones do not stock it, it is not good to you. I recommend you print a photo of a plank and copy the wiggly shapes using your veining tool. It is really easy to do but you might have to do a few practice runs first on some unwanted fondant. Have a look at this link: You will need to scroll down quite a bit to come to the tutorial. Good luck!

oftheeicing Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 3:52am
post #3 of 7

What kind of tree bark are you looking for?   White Birch, or a typical brown-bark tree?

julia1812 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 8:20am
post #4 of 7
nikki1227 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 10:08am
post #5 of 7

I ordered mine from sugar delights and it looks like real wood! I don't know why this pic is sideways but, you can see the "wood"55cb1b0f69cfe.jpeg

MaryM1 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 7

I'm looking for birch tree bark .... this is my first attempt @ a wedding cake.   

So the simpler the better.  

FlourPots Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 7

You don't need a mold at all for birch...

Here's a great tutorial:

Quote by @%username% on %date%