Can You Freeze Cake Twice?

Baking By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 18 Aug 2015 , 4:07pm by -K8memphis

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

I'm about to make a lot of cake pops for a wedding as well as a large wedding cake.  I want to make the cake pops in advance and freeze them as balls before defrosting/decorating them last minute.  Can I use cake offcuts which have been frozen already to make them?  Or should I bake the cakes fresh before freezing as cake pops?  I never freeze cakes normally and know that for most food, you should never re-freeze but am unsure if the same is true of cake with the high sugar content?  Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks x

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 4

i've done that used frozen cake to make cake balls -- i guess i didn't re-freeze them after that but you could i'm sure -- no worries -- y'know wrap them up really well in several layers -- should be fine

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 4

hmmm...i know I can use frozen cake (what little is left after my other half has been at it!).  I was thinking more from a food safety/hygiene point of view.  Warming it up grows bugs, freezing it then warming it again means more bugs etc.  With the amount of sugar in my chocolate cake pops, i can't really see a problem but i don't know about in practice.  I have soooo much chocolate fudge cake from offcuts in my freezer, i can't bear to make even more!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 4

cake is not a time and temperature sensitive product (like meat for example) so bringing it from frozen to room temp and back to freezing is no problem -- i would do it without heating it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%