Cupcake Bouquet Pricing?

Business By carmenf21 Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 5:02am by johnson6ofus

carmenf21 Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 3:24am
post #1 of 7

55c96ad62ea61.jpeg55c96ad72c0bd.jpegHello! 

I really need help and advice on what to charge for my cupcake bouquet. 

The basket is $10 and the styrofoam ball is around $9. Plus the baking supplies. This is the first time charging for my cupcakes so i honestly have no idea what to chargeð­.

6 replies
jgifford Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 3:41am
post #2 of 7

No one can tell you what to charge.  You need to charge enough to cover your expenses, your ingredient costs, your income per hour and allow for your profit margin.  This is basic information you should have in place before you even contemplate selling.

I'm not trying to discourage you and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are intending to have a business, you need to do the research BEFORE you take your first order. 

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 4:30am
post #3 of 7

Carmenf21:

basket = 10

styrofoam = 9

baking supplies = ? (include a little bit for your gas/electricity, too)

how long did it take you to work on the arrangement multiplied for how much do you want to pay yourself per hour. Example: 1.5 hours x $20 per hour = $30

Add all that and that's the cost (it includes your work). Cost = Labor + Materials

Then add a bit more for your profit.

plcharles Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7

Just as an example...here in my area. Depending on the level of detail of the cupcakes, I charge at least $2 for a basic cupcake, plus my container (which I always hit the craft stores at the end of the season for 50 - 70% off which helps the profit margin) and styrofoam plus labor. So from the looks of your wonderful looking bouquet you're probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 and up. I've learned over the years that I want to make money in my business and therefore need to price my stuff realistically so I'm making a profit. If I don't then I need to go back to being a hobby baker. (I still struggle with the pricing at times!) Good luck and great job!

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:56am
post #5 of 7

$20 for packaging costs really hits the price hard. Try to find a cheaper option, or at least add something of value. Clay pots are cheaper and can be painted to match. I add a pack of flowers seeds (4 packets for a dollar, or less at the dollar store). Dollar store pool noddles can be cut easily to fit in the planter and much cheaper than the $9 ball of Styrofoam. 

Like pl said above, the closeouts at the end of the season are great.

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:00am
post #6 of 7

55cad2e78baf8.jpeg

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:02am
post #7 of 7

painted clay "flower box" style planter with gold paint, 50 cent closeout Christmas ribbon (blue). Dollar store pool noodles, covered with some Easter grass, and cupcakes and cookies on a stick. Chocolate butterflies. (Happy Birthday in persian--- thanks to google translate).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%