Cake Pricing

Business By cup-n-cake Updated 11 Aug 2015 , 5:49pm by pastrypet

cup-n-cake Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone, I live in So. Cal (San Bernardino County) & I have been working on the pricing of my cakes. I have searched google, pinterest and called other bakeries to see what their base prices are. I have gotten so many different answers. Ranging from $2.00 a serving for buttercream up to $6.00 a servings for detailed oriented fondant. I was thinking $ 3.50 a serving for buttercream and $4.50 a serving for fondant. Is that a good base price? 

6 replies
jgifford Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 7

Does that price cover all your expenses and allow you a decent income per hour as well as an acceptable profit margin?

cup-n-cake Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 7

It covers expenses, 20% profit and paying myself $11.00 an hr. I was sure how much to charge per hour.

jgifford Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 7

Then if these amounts are acceptable to you, go for it.  How much you charge per hour is strictly up to you.  I don't presently sell cakes because I refuse to work for less than $1 per hour and that's all people in this area are currently willing to pay.

Apti Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 7

cup-n-cake, Welcome to the forum.  I live in So Cal and am very familiar with price ranges for custom cakes.  Do you have photos of your work?  There are so many variables in pricing because we (anonymous forum members on an international forum) have no idea of your skill level, the taste of your products, and your recipe costs.  A look at your portfolio would be helpful.

I appreciate the way you worded your query--sounds like you have done research to see what is an appropriate price range for your goods.

If you haven't seen it already, here is a wonderful article about how to price cakes.  CakeBoss software (not associated with tv show) may also be an asset for you to arrive at firm pricing.

costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 7

You might want to raise your wage rate so that you're at least making a living wage for your area...Here's a calculator that's kind of fun to mess with:

pastrypet Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

In Seattle, minimum wage is $15/hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%