Fondant -Vs- Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By Cali6422 Updated 10 Aug 2015 , 6:38pm by Cali6422

Cali6422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali6422 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!  I’ve searched the archives and not really found an answer to this, so I thought I’d pose the question here to see what everyone thinks …

I’m attempting my first cake topper with RKT.  I’m making a rather large baby carriage to go on a cake.  My question is - Would I be better off covering and decorating it with fondant?  Or would modeling chocolate be the way to go?  I’ve never worked with the modeling chocolate before but have wanted to give it a try.  But I'm just unsure of how well details such as ruffles and embellishments would hold.  Do they just get ‘stuck’ on with water? Piping gel? Royal icing? Or something else ??

Any ideas, suggestions, or direction will really be appreciated!  Thanks. J

*Last edited by Cali6422 on 10 Aug 2015 , 2:46pm
2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 3

I'd make the form with the RKT, then cover it with melted white chocolate to smooth out the surface and fill in any gaps, Then you can cover it with either fondant or modeling chocolate. I personally like sculpting with modeling chocolate because it doesn't dry out and you have more time to add details. It sticks to itself pretty well with a little water or corn syrup, or just by pressing it on and using a dogbone tool or a sharpened dowel to kind of work them together.

Cali6422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali6422 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the tip Costumeczar.  I'm going to give that a try.  I was concerned about how to hide the "bumpy surface" of the RKT before covering it.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%