Fake Cake Question

Decorating By idahospaz Updated 17 Aug 2015 , 10:57pm by idahospaz

idahospaz Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 8

I am making my first fake cake (fondant covered dummies) which is what a friend's wants for their wedding.  My question is -- how far ahead of time can I cover the dummies in fondant.  I've never done this and not sure if they dry out and crack or if they staying looking ok.  It would be nice to get these done ahead of time, but I still want them to look nice. 
Also, I'm making a real cake for the top tier.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

7 replies
Cali6422 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 8

idahospaz  ... I'm just a beginner, but can tell you I recently covered dummies with fondant about 2 1/2 weeks before I entered them in a contest, and they were fine.  There was no cracking and they didn't look dried out.  I had even airbrushed them with really vibrant colors and they didn't even fade in that time frame.  Of course I kept them out of the light and in a cool room ... But all was good.

jenner28 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 8

I covered a dummy back in march and still have it because they are holding up my figurines (see my profile picture) and it still looks fine! it's hard because it dried but its not cracked and still looks fresh

-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 8

just make sure the ants, mice and other little lovelies don't want to come in for a snack -- the ants here this year have been incredible -- and they are the tiniest honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-size ants I've ever seen -- but they are everywhere -- in cars even and  at church -- they love our outdoor furniture --

we have pets so we're always slightly freaked that our pets might get poisoned with bug spray products or whatever -- but then I heard about diotomaceous earth aka DE -- and it is actually made in an edible form edible for humans so it does not harm pets unless it is inhaled so you still have to be careful of their little lungs just like with any powder but that can easily be controlled at least it won't harm them otherwise

but I have had cake dummies for a couple years even -- the colored ones last the longest -- the white discolor after a year or two --

diatomaceous earth available at pet stores among other places aka "DE"

TheresaCarol Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 8

Be sure to keep the cake out of light if it is a color; sometimes the colored fondants fade.  The darker pinks, reds and blues are the worst.  Flourescent lights seem to be the culprit so if you don't have those, I guess you are okay but I like to be safe than sorry.  

-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 8

yes of course what theresacarol said -- my colored ones that stayed so long were painted come to think of it

thecakediva40 Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 8

Consider the fondant that you use. Some homemade fondant may dry out in 2 weeks. 

idahospaz Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much.  Your help and advice is greatly appreciated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%