Modified Swiss Buttercream Using Powdered Sugar & Pasteurized Egg Whites

Baking By Walkinmomma Updated 18 Aug 2015 , 6:27pm by MBalaska

Walkinmomma Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 11

Recently I found a Swiss buttercream recipe that used pasteurized egg whites, powdered sugar, and a combination of butter and hi-ratio.  I believe some of the ingredients were 1 c. whites &  1 lb. powdered sugar.  Now I can't find the recipe to save my life!  Does anybody out there have it?

10 replies
Amps.prkns Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 11

I use:

1c pasteurized egg whites

2# powdered sugar

2# butter

2T extract

whip the whites till stiff peaks, switch to using a paddle attachment then add sugar, once smooth add in the room temperature butter. If you like it sweeter add more sugar, if it's too stiff add a little bit of heavy cream. 

Rfisher Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 11
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 11

Minette Rushing has a good video on her YouTube channel for a similar recipe:

Walkinmomma Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you for sharing that.  I will try today.  Do you find the powdered sugar does  not result in any grittiness?

Amps.prkns Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 11

I don't get any grittiness, I think the water in the egg whites dissolves it. 

Walkinmomma Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 11

Great video, but wonder why you need to heat the egg white/sugar mixture if the eggs are pasteurized?

flourandsun Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 8:12am
post #8 of 11

Usually you would still cook the eggs with the sugar even if they are pasteurized to ensure that the sugar has dissolved. I've never used powdered sugar in my Swiss Meringue only granulated and I've never had a problem with grittiness. You just have to let the egg white mixture come to temperature. :) 

melmar02 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 11:13am
post #9 of 11

Artisan cake company  put out a youtube  video not too long ago for a non cooked swiss meringue using pasturized egg whites. The recipe is one she modified from Lauren Kitchens. I used it last week, and didn't notice any grittiness, but it does not double well in a 5 qt kitchenaid mixer. I got lots of compliments on it, and it tasted like traditional smbc to me. The ingredients for that recipe were:

1 cup pasturized egg whites

2 lbs powdered sugar 

2 T vanilla (I use a total of 2 T flavor, not all vanilla)

2 lbs unsalted butter (I used 1 lb butter, 1 lb hi ratio was 108 here on Sunday)

Salt (I don't remember the amount. I use salted butter so I omit the salt.)

Walkinmomma Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 10:05am
post #10 of 11

O.K. I did a test batch yesterday using the pasteurized egg whites and beating them to stiff peaks first(no heating).  Used powdered sugar and half butter/half hi-ratio.  

I ended up with a very good volume end product.  There was just the faintest grittiness from the powdered sugar but my husband actually liked this icing the best of any I have done for these reasons:

Did not feel like he was eating a stick of butter-same reason I did not like the Swiss & Italian!

Not too sweet(his complaint about American) and the faint(very faint) grittiness gave in his opinion a nice mouth-feel.

By using the hi-ratio reduced the buttery consistency and flavor(could add butter flavor to bump that up I guess) but still  smooth and hardened up nicely in the fridge.

I used 2 Tbl. of vanilla and found that to be a bit strong. Could be the Mexican vanilla I used(?)  Will experiment with using liquors and other flavorings.

My next test will be covering a cake with fondant to see how it holds up using the amount of hi-ratio I did.

I will heat the next batch just until the sugar dissolves to see how he likes that mouth-feel.

*Last edited by Walkinmomma on 18 Aug 2015 , 10:07am
MBalaska Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 11

It's called "Lauren Kitchens Butter Cream" it's very simply & fast to make, and it taste just as good and just as smooth and creamy as cooked SMBC.  I love this recipe.

Lauren Kitchens' Butter Cream Recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%