Royal Icing Coming Out Like Shiny Meringue Why Oh Why Lol !!

Baking By dgonzalez227 Updated 10 Aug 2015 , 3:09pm by dgonzalez227

dgonzalez227 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

I attnepred royal icon and chocolate sugar cookies 

I thought both were a success but my cookies broke lol and my icing .. I have no idea what consistency it is 

it's super shiny .. 

I can't dye it black to pipe with and I can't make it flood ..

I tried posting pictures and it won't work I can't win tonight haha 

I just wanna make paint your own cookies and call it a night 

any suggestions or good recipes for small batches ??

7 replies
dgonzalez227 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:48am
post #2 of 8

55c81f210a310.jpeg55c81f21ec217.jpeg

winniemog Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 4:51am
post #3 of 8

Your icing is quite firm. It should be ok for piping the edges of the cookies, or you could make it slightly softer with a drop (and I do mean A DROP) of water. To flood, you need to let it down quite a lot with water, when you dribble a little icing back into the bowl, it should disappear within 10 seconds.

To get really black icing, you need to add a lot of gel paste colour, and for deeper shades I tend to let them rest for a little while to let the colour develop.

AAtKT Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 11:42am
post #4 of 8

Using black cocoa powder or even just regular cocoa powder (in place of a little of the powdered sugar) will also make it easier to make it black... it will give you a dark base to start with ...

dgonzalez227 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 8

Ahh coco powdered forgot about that !  Thanks 

making the icing seems easier then it is 

is the icing supposed to be this fluffy like 'marshmallow fluff 'my son says ..

i tried covering a cookie with a spoon of it and it seemed like buttercream consistency 

ypierce82 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 8

I definitely agree with using cocoa powder to start, then adding a little black gel color. It gets it black without a lot of color and the taste is amazing. If your icing is behaving like buttercream and is thick, you need to add a few drops of water so that it thins out. I run a knife through it and the line disappears at 15 seconds, which is the consistency that I like, but 10 is what some usually do, too.It should spread out on it's own with minimal help. I beat my icing on low speed for 10 minutes and it takes some of the shine away and they dry matte. 

dgonzalez227 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you !

So this morning I touched the few of my practice cookies 

the outlines seemed hard but I noticed I guess while piping last night that the line broke in between some spots 

eek

and my cookies are a rock !

Are sugar cookies supposed to be that way !?? Lol ooopsie 

I'm going to try this again later 

just need more  sugar 

dgonzalez227 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 8

i found this link

http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2011/04/royal-weddings-and-royal-disasters/

this is what mine resembles ,marshmallow fluff they say it might of been over beaten but am i stuck with unusable icing or can it be fixed? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%