Any Advice?

Baking By nannychelle Updated 10 Aug 2015 , 4:19am by nannychelle

nannychelle Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a cake along these lines, and as I'm quite a novice at shaping cakes, I wondered if anyone had any advice or tips on how to get the right shape? Thanks

5 replies
mccantsbakes Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 6

I would think that you could use a regular round in whatever diameter you wanted, fill and stack accordingly and then slice off one side and place it on its side on top of whatever base you would use for the bottom part of the trailer. 

Or maybe a big Swiss roll type shaped cake for the top part?

Jinkies Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 6

Awww, what an adorable little cake.  Well, you can certainly make a rectangle cake and just carve the edges.  Or, you can make one of those roll cakes and place it on top of a rectangle cake.  You could even do a tall cake and place it on its side-(although I would use a sturdy filling like ganache and cover it with ganache for that one) and place it on a rectangle cake.

All in all, I think a firm cold cake and a little carving is probably the easiest.  You can smooth it round with buttercream or ganache.

Let's see what others come up with :)

Jinkies Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, we were typing at the same time :)  Swiss roll...that's what it's called!

Goreti Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 6

This may help:  

nannychelle Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 4:19am
post #6 of 6

Thankyou so much for the advice, it's for my grandfathers 80th birthday so really want to get it right, thanks all x

Quote by @%username% on %date%