Something For Nothing!!

Business By tessholly1 Updated 9 Aug 2015 , 7:55pm by Cakemom21

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 7:25am
post #1 of 5

Hi bakers, 

Yesterday I had my first experience of a potential customer saying she couldn't afford my prices!!

It all started when I received a message from a lady explaining it was short notice but she had been let down and lost her deposit 3 times and needed 50 cupcakes and a 12" cutting cake for her wedding in 13 days!! I agreed I could fit her in, tried to ask her for some more details but she insisted she needed to know a price asap as she was on a tight budget after losing 3 deposits (which I thought was a bit suspicious.) There would be a sugar rose on each cupcake plus more the decorate the 12" cake and ribbons around each in the colour scheme, so I quoted £115 not including delivery charge. I thought this was fair but got a message straight back to say this was far to much and she only had £75 to spend on the lot!! I politely apologised that I couldn't be of more help in such a horrible situation but was thinking to my self.. £75 would only be £1.50 per cupcake let alone a 12" as well all with handmade sugar roses!!!!! I would lose money making it all for that kind of price.. I was just so shocked that she was expecting so much for so little do thought I would share!!!!! Thanks for reading.. Anyone else have experiences like this?! 

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 5

Oh yes...And you're right to think that there's something suspicious about losing deposits three times. She was either making that up, or fired (or was fired by)  three different bakers for whatever reason. that isn't a customer you want.

Don't worry if people can't afford your prices. I can't afford everything either, most people have limits. As long as you know that your pricing is where you need it to be to make a decent profit you're fine.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 5

Run!!!  This customer sounds like trouble!!!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 5

I highly doubt she lost 3 deposits..my guess is that it is a story she made up in an attempt to get a cheap last minuet wedding cake. Like who looses 3 deposits?! 

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 5

I haven't made cakes for sale in about 8 years. Back then I charged about $1 a serving with just buttercream, not filling. Those were sheet cakes. My cookies were $2 each. That was 8 years ago, and my customers never complained about prices. Occasionally, I would get someone that would ask about a price and not order. They never said I charged too much, but I know that is what they thought. I always told them I do "custom" cakes, match the invite, whatever. If they wanted a basic cake, I referred them to Costco, since they taste pretty good and are cheap. All my regular customers ALWAYS ordered from me, whether it was custom or just basic decoration.  Customers worth having as customers will come when they see quality, and your ability to make a "special" cake or treat for them. That particular customer is not one of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%