Naked Wedding Cake

Decorating By Luby Updated 16 May 2016 , 1:43am by sayhellojana

JustBakedSLO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedSLO Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 4:49am
post #31 of 42

These are the two that I've done so far this year. I hated the look when I first saw it, but it's grown on me.

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 2:03am
post #32 of 42

Hi all naked cakers out there :),

I need some help from you guys with a future fine crumb coated naked cake with some gold leave accents but I have 2 questions:

1. How do I  hide the board under the cake as best as possible with the buttercream scraping method? If I use a board smaller than the cake I won´t have a resting surface to support my scraper so I think the result won´t be so neat since I am always used to ice scraping around the board

2. What´s the best way to prevent crumbs from getting into my crumb coat since I need it "nice and pretty"? Partially freezing and dry brushing the cake before icing, what else?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated since I am mostly used to fondant cakes.

I am looking for something that will look similar to the cake in this photo.

Thanks, cheers.

56bd3d7dab732.jpeg

NAvery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NAvery Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 6:52am
post #33 of 42

Hi All ... I have my first semi naked cake order and I am unsure how far in advance I can make it and the best way to store it until delivery .... The order is due the weekend after Easter (and we have a family holiday planned the week of Easter) and I also have a hand painted 60th Birthday cake due the same weekend.  The request is to have the coating made from butter cream.  Would it be feasible to decorate the cake 2 days before the event, having read the comments above, I would coat with jchuck's sugar syrup first.  Am I best to store it in the fridge or leave on the bench?  I do live in Queensland, Australia so it could be quite hot and humid? I wouldn't usually refrigerate my cakes after decorating, but I was unsure with such a thin layer of butter cream whether the cake would dry out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! smile.png

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 1:26pm
post #34 of 42

NAvery

It was hot and humid when I made my son's wedding cake. I bake and froze the cakes weeks before. Freezing helps make cakes naturally moist. Took them out 2 days before, thawed, and applied the 2 coats of simple syrup. When throughly dried from the syrup, I did apply my buttercream, scrapping off the excess icing until I achieved the look I wanted.  Left the cake on the counter, didn't refrigerate nor cover in plastic wrap. Then fully decorated the day before. I had did 2 practice cakes, doing the exact same...also with the same great results. I'll see if I can attach a pic of the cake...

As for your 2nd cake. I'd have that painted cake done the Monday or Tuesday before the weekend, then it's one less thing you have to worry about. You could refrigerate that cake, and bring it out the morning of and let cake come to room temperature.[postimage id="2757" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 4:47pm
post #35 of 42

Refrigerating the painted cake probably will result in much condensation when you remove it from the frig.  It might cause some running/bleeding of colors :(   One way to help keep that to a minimum would be to box the cake, then put the box into a plastic bag before frig'ing it.  Leave wrapped when you remove it, then after it has come to room temp remove the wrapping from the box and check the cake.   You might want to test this by making a small test cake - maybe just a cupcake iced all around and painted on.  Don't have to make a painted picture - just put some paint on and frig it.  In fact, I would freeze it.  A cake left in the frig for that long can dry out - yes, even if it is wrapped well.  Freezing it would keep it fresh(er).  If you choose to fz, then take out of the fzr the night before to the frig overnight, then to counter in the morning so it slowly can defrost and come to room temp. before unwrapping.

NAvery Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 9:53pm
post #36 of 42

Thanks so much jchuck and kakeladi .... You've given me the confidence I needed!  smiley.png

jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 9:59pm
post #37 of 42

No problem...post pic here when your it's finished...

NAvery Posted 13 May 2016 , 11:07pm
post #38 of 42

Sorry for the delay .. but here are the end products jchuck ... I was pretty happy with the results - they even tasted good!  [postimage id="3850" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="3851" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="3852" thumb="900"]

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 May 2016 , 12:01am
post #39 of 42

WOW!!!!   (Thanks for posting the final pics.  It is always so fun to see the results.)

jchuck Posted 14 May 2016 , 2:09am
post #40 of 42

Lovely....Lovely....Lovely...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2016 , 10:47pm
post #41 of 42

Having just seen the movie "The Jungle Book" I have to say this is splendid work.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 May 2016 , 1:43am
post #42 of 42

I like the naked cake look when paired with real flowers. Real flowers on fondant looks strange to me anyways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%