Large Royal Icing Transfer

Decorating By lovelycaker Updated 8 Aug 2015 , 12:45pm by Victoria M

lovelycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelycaker Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 12:19am
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow bakers! I am making a Zelda themed cake next month and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with large royal icing transfers. It's going on a quarter or a half sheet cake and I want the picture to fill the whole top with room for a small border. I'm wanting to do this image in royal icing because it has a stained glass background with lots if little details and I'm thinking the colors with be smoother with RI as apposed to BC. 

Should I just pipe extra thick or would it be possible to pipe directly onto a large piece of fondant so I can just place the entire thing on my cake instead of having to peel it off of waxed paper?? Any advise is appreciated thanks! !

4 replies
lovelycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelycaker Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 7:28am
post #2 of 5

Anybody? :(

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 9:50am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure what type of image you are talking about but there is a tutorial on this site where Elaine MacGregor does a large royal icing collar and transfers that to the cake with no problem.  Of course that is no problem for HER, if you know what I mean?  She makes it look easy.  I just know that she uses wax paper to make the transfer on before putting it on the cake.  Not sure if this helps you or not but I noticed no one else had replied.

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 9:54am
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure what type of image you are talking about but there is a tutorial on this site where Elaine MacGregor does a large royal icing collar and transfers that to the cake with no problem.  Of course that is no problem for HER, if you know what I mean?  She makes it look easy.  I just know that she uses wax paper to make the transfer on before putting it on the cake.  Not sure if this helps you or not but I noticed no one else had replied.

Victoria M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Victoria M Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 5

I may be missing something here, but is there a reason you can't pipe the RI directly onto the top of the cake instead of doing a transfer?  That's what I'd do personally as none of the design in this case needs to overlap the cake edge.  The cake I've made below had its stained glass window outlines piped directly onto the cake (they're quite thick lines so I piped round the edges then flooded in, to make them smooth) all in white royal icing, and then I painted over the top when it was dry.945289ldTE_collation-and-induction-cake_900.jpg

If you do decide to do the image as a transfer, you'd be best to make at least one spare in case of breakage.  Alternatively, you could make a plaque from flowerpaste (gumpaste in the US) and pipe on top of that, far enough in advance for it to dry properly.  I wouldn't use fondant for a plaque because it wouldn't fully dry, and if it flexes even slightly when you're transferring it to the top (as it's likely to with such a big piece) it would make the royal icing on top of it crack.  The flowerpaste will be quite hard so you may wish to remove it before serving the cake.

Hope that's of some help :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%