What Cake Is Best For Stacking?

Baking By Shockolata Updated 6 Aug 2015 , 5:10pm by Shockolata

Shockolata Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to find the best recipe for a cake that can be used for stacking. The Victoria sponge does not work for me. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but the recipe printed on the back of the flour packet will not rise. So disappointing. The chiffon cake ( joyofbaking.com) is delicious but far too spongy and wobbly to support anything. I watch a lot of YouTube videos but I still haven't located the perfect recipe. Can anyone point me to the right direction? I want a cake that is firm but not stodgy or dry. I don't want to use any shortening or margarine - butter and oil are fine. I prefer a cake with a fine crumb to a cake with a big crumb. I look forward to reading your answers! 

2 replies
cakedout Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 3

So by "stacking" do you mean a tiered cake?  If so- almost any cake should do because the inner support structure is what bears the weight-not the cake itself.

And do check out the recipes on this site- there are tons of great ones to try.  A favorite on here seems to be the WASC (white almond sour cream) or something similar.  Every baker must go through the recipe trial & error period when developing a cake business, so start pre-heating that oven and start browsing!  ;)

Shockolata Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your prompt response. I am glad you asked because I meant to tort and fill with buttercream. The chiffon cake is too delicate to bear any weight... it won't even support dowels to stack more tiers on top. I am new to this website so have not yet browsed the recipe section. Heading there now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%