Flower Advice

Sugar Work By Rldavis829 Updated 6 Aug 2015 , 6:09pm by Rldavis829

Rldavis829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rldavis829 Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 12:28am
post #1 of 8

I need to make this cake (but only one tier and one flower) for a wedding next week as part of a sweets table.. I need advice for the flower! I've only ever done small flowers so I'm not really sure how to do this one.. It needs to be about 6" bc it's going on a 10" cake. I dont have a flower cutter big enough to make the outer layers so should i just cut individual petals?!

tips for making the petals stay in the shape I want?

Any input would be helpful! Thanks :)

Rachel 

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 1:37am
post #2 of 8

Is it supposed to be a peony or a rose-type flower? Is it going to be sitting on the top of the cake or stuck vertically on the side? You can make a wired or unwired one but it would depend on the placement on the cake.

Rldavis829 Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 2:09am
post #3 of 8

I meant to post this picture with my first post but I was on my phone and it wouldnt let me go back and edit it. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f1/96/b1/f196b193252ae8ad50dd41f6a77b60a1.jpg

I will just be doing the top tier, where the flower is on top

Im not even sure what type of flower that is? The bride loves the simplicity of the cake, Im doing the flower in white and am going to brush some gold dust on to it

*Last edited by Rldavis829 on 6 Aug 2015 , 2:10am
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 4:50am
post #4 of 8

That looks like a magnolia to me.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 4:57am
post #5 of 8
It looks to me like a rose bud sitting on top of 10 rose petals... do  you have circle cutters? I would use a 1 or 1.25 inch circle cutter, manipulate the cut circle to elongate it, and then form it to dry.

*Last edited by melmar02 on 6 Aug 2015 , 4:57am
ModernLovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ModernLovers Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 5:12am
post #6 of 8

That looks like a Gardenia to me: http://highaltitudeorganics.net/subpage374.html. Alan Dunn have classes on craftsy on how to make gardenias

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 8

That's just a fantasy-type rose/gardenia/whatever flower. Make a basic wired rose bud for the center, then make some big honking wired petals and put them on big spoons to dry them so that you can wrap the edges of the petals around the spoons to give them the curving shape. Or use tinfoil shaped into pieces that will support the gumpaste in the shape that you want it to dry in. Wire them all together and you're done. Here's a video showing the spoon thing, but you would need soup spoons or larger ones for petals that size. The tinfoil might work better.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCbC4Y-GWW8&list=PLZ_bioPrrMRe_iu_JywCMyoVvuVIt1oLO&index=19

Rldavis829 Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone for your input! very very helpful! and thank you costumeczar, I will definitely be trying it out tonight :]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%