Making Large Figurine... Help?

Decorating By bakedfsj Updated 6 Aug 2015 , 3:06pm by bakedfsj

bakedfsj Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there, so I just received a request from a customer to make a cake for sometime next week. They are wanting a very large 3d pipe on the cake (pictured below). They want the pipe without the Macro lettering on it, and it is to be tipped down on the cake... it is going to have to be very large to accommodate the cake (it is a full slab cake), so I am thinking about 18 inches across. The problem is I am not sure which method or medium would work best. I don't work a lot with odd shaped things... Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you

5 replies
winniemog Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 6

I don't really understand what position it needs to be in. Does it need to be entirely edible? By size, do you mean 18 inches long or the diameter of the tube? I think you mean length or width? Does it have to be hollow?

bakedfsj Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 6

No, just 18 inches wide, from one end of the pipe to the other. Ideally it would be entirely edible. It does not have to be hollow either. It is not going to stand up on the cake on the two ends , it will be lying down across the whole surface. 

winniemog Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 6

You could use fondant with CMC/tylose, or gumpaste, or modelling chocolate or a mix of these. I'd just roll the length I needed and then lay it on a template to get the correct shape. Do it well in advance to let it dry. Given the size and weight of the piece, I would probably use dowels underneath where it will sit on top of the cake to support its weight.

jgifford Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 6

Have you considered doing half the pipe in fondant covered RKT?  Since it's going to be lying down, a half round would work unless, of course it needs to be the full round.

Does that make any sense? 

bakedfsj Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, that makes sense. I was doing a bit of research and I thought RKT might be the way to go for myself, it seems a bit more cost effective than using modeling chocolate or solid gum paste. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%