Condensation On Fondant

Decorating By giles14 Updated 5 Aug 2015 , 9:44pm by giles14

giles14 Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

Im making my cake for my baby shower on Sunday and I did a trial cake first. On the trial cake when I removed it from the fridge the MMF had tons of condensation and was really sticky and left fingers prints when I touched it. Im confused on what im doing wrong. Even my fondant animals I make start falling apart when removed from fridge. Do they have to be stored in the fridge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
ChrystysCreations Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

It is not recommended to place a fondant cake in the fridge.

But  you absolutely have to, make sure to place it in front of a fan and let it come to room temperature before handling.

Also, I would do the animals in gum paste instead of fondant, and make sure to let them dry completely before moving them around.

Hope this helps.

MacsMom Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

I always store my cakes in the fridge. Yes, condensation forms but it dries completely within 2 hours. The more humid it is, the more condensation forms, so I sometimes have to either work under a ceiling fan or use a blow-dryer on the cake if I need it to dry more quickly. 

I always continue working on my cakes while there is condensation, being careful about touching it; the moisture makes it much easier to add decorations without needing to pre-moisten them.

I have never, ever, had a cake ruined because of condensation, even with figurines and gumpaste flowers.

MacsMom Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 5

If your ani,als are falling apart, then it must be very warm or very humid where you are. Use a blow dryer on them; they are falling apart because they are too wet (slippery).

*Last edited by MacsMom on 5 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
giles14 Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 5

I will try taking the cake out of the fridge 2 hours before the event and blowing drying it, I normally turn my ac on to 78 when working on cakes. It has been 100+ degrees here in CA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%