Condensation On Fondant

Decorating By giles14 Updated 5 Aug 2015 , 9:44pm by giles14

giles14  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giles14 Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

Im making my cake for my baby shower on Sunday and I did a trial cake first. On the trial cake when I removed it from the fridge the MMF had tons of condensation and was really sticky and left fingers prints when I touched it. Im confused on what im doing wrong. Even my fondant animals I make start falling apart when removed from fridge. Do they have to be stored in the fridge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
 ChrystysCreations  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrystysCreations Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

It is not recommended to place a fondant cake in the fridge.

But  you absolutely have to, make sure to place it in front of a fan and let it come to room temperature before handling.

Also, I would do the animals in gum paste instead of fondant, and make sure to let them dry completely before moving them around.

Hope this helps.

MacsMom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

I always store my cakes in the fridge. Yes, condensation forms but it dries completely within 2 hours. The more humid it is, the more condensation forms, so I sometimes have to either work under a ceiling fan or use a blow-dryer on the cake if I need it to dry more quickly. 

I always continue working on my cakes while there is condensation, being careful about touching it; the moisture makes it much easier to add decorations without needing to pre-moisten them.

I have never, ever, had a cake ruined because of condensation, even with figurines and gumpaste flowers.

MacsMom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 5

If your ani,als are falling apart, then it must be very warm or very humid where you are. Use a blow dryer on them; they are falling apart because they are too wet (slippery).

*Last edited by MacsMom on 5 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
 giles14  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giles14 Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 5

I will try taking the cake out of the fridge 2 hours before the event and blowing drying it, I normally turn my ac on to 78 when working on cakes. It has been 100+ degrees here in CA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%