Should I Sell My Cupcakes At A Pizza Place? Need Opinions!

Business By 20cakesbyLily Updated 5 Aug 2015 , 1:21am by Brookebakescake

20cakesbyLily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
20cakesbyLily Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,

Within this year I have grown so much! Especially with my cake and cupcake orders. I am wondering if it's a good idea to sell cupcakes at a pizza place? The store's pizza is above par and all it needs is some yummy cupcakes!  

My thoughts for it are:

start out with a test run- make cupcakes for free and see how much they sell/how popular they are at the store

if it works out then...

sell 72 cupcakes each week in 3 different cake flavors and varying frosting flavors. Sell them for 1.25 each or 80.00 total to the store and the store could sell it for $2.50 per.

do you think this is a big enough profit margin for me and the store to pursue? 

I thought it was a good idea considering most people order pizza for their birthday/ event so they can just order cupcakes with it too! Which is super convenient too

The manager knows me and knows I am a home baker. do you think to sell at a  store I would need to be licensed? 

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 12

oh yes of course you need to be legal and comply with all the rules and regulations in your locality -- what the pizza place sells them for is not your purview -- you need to cost it out for yourself and see if it works out -- giving away your product for free is almost never a good idea -- 

i almost feel like i'm being punked with your question about being licensed -- you already have a business and you don't understand your current legal obligations and you want to add more?

guess i'm a little confused --

but no, a buck and a quarter is not enough -- dominos sells dessert for about $2.50 per serving and it is easy to deliver with the pizza -- cupcakes not so much -- not to mention that if they sit there for a several days before being sold -- cupcakes do not stay fresh for a week -- i think you need to go back to the drawing board

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 12

oh you're 15 now I getcha! no though still not a good idea you need to be older to do this legally -- you would want to contact your local authorities starting with the health department to determine whether you can conduct a food business and where the parameters are drawn --

best to you

20cakesbyLily Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for your response! 

Sorry to leave that out.. These were only going to be stored for three days like fri-sun considering those are the pizza places busiest days. To make it legal I could definitely just make the cupcakes in the kitchen at the pizza place. It is worth it in the long run considering it would be a weekly thing plus I could get custom orders for birthdays. 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 12

I second what k8memphis said. If you haven't already I would strongly suggest you make sure you are operating within the laws, ordinances and zoning with what you are currently doing. A 12 year old girl from my state was baking cupcakes out of her home and selling them and yes the health department went after her and shut her down (her county now has the cupcake law in place  and it's not good either but it allows her to bake legally) . Where I live there has to be a rental agreement to use a businesses kitchen and you also have to have a food sanitation permit. I hate to be a Debbie downer but the rules should be followed it's not always easy but it's what is right. 

To touch on the selling at the pizza place (legally) I wouldn't personally do it. Doesn't sound like financially it would be beneficial if you sold them. Have you l

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 12

I can't use the sit button so whoops lol. Anyways have you looked into the cottage food law that might be a better route for you to take. 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 12

Honestly, it's not that simple. Having worked in marketing  I have heard of many half-baked ideas.  Example: My local Chinese fast-food restaurant thought it would be a good idea to sell custom cakes( the photos looked great) but most people didn't order a cake from them.  Another example is a local greasy spoon diner owner loves liver and onions so he decided to tell our whole  viewing area that he has the best liver and onions in town, since that didn't work he tried something that definitely did. He added slot machines.  My point is this, please consider all possible outlets with on open mind, and even have a trustworthy adult as a mentor.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 12

Contact someone at your culinary school. They should give great advice on all aspects of information you have shared here on CC, having your ( and your parents) best interests in mind.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 12

sorry didn't want to hit submit. And yes make sure everything is legal. Get on your state's website and see what you can find on cottage law. You wil probably have to contact you local health department, and maybe even the city and county boards 

20cakesbyLily Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone!

It's a lot to think about. I feel like these go hand in hand. I haven't obtained a license yet considering most of my sales are from friends and families. 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 12

also since your age will preclude you from following your dream for a while -- soak up all you can learn in the meantime -- i don't know how the laws are in Connecticut but you need to do your research asap --

best to you 

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 1:21am
post #12 of 12

I agree with the comments here. In order for you to use the pizza kitchen, you would still need to be certified, or be an employee of the restaurant. 

Also, selling just to family and friends does not mean you are not obligated to follow local regulations. 

Reach out to local professionals and authorities and you will have all the local info you will need to be successful in the future.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%