Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Cake

Baking By flawless1 Updated 5 Aug 2015 , 1:19pm by flawless1

flawless1 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to baking and I was attempting to make a Ferrero Rocher cake. The recipe calls for 10 large free range eggs but I didn't see any at the grocery store so can I use just 10 large eggs that arent free range. The recipe also called for hazelnut meal and I didnt see that either. I have been to 4 different stores looking for these ingredients and cant find them. Do you think I would find the free range eggs and hazelnut meal at the whole food store  ( I called them 3 times to see if they had these ingredients  and they're not answering the phone and the closest whole food store is 40 miles from me). Or should I just try find another ferrero rocher hazelnut cake recipe.

3 replies
Rfisher Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

Bob red mill's website might have a "find product near me" I dunno.

alternatively buy hazelnuts, roast and whirl them up yourself if you have a food processor. Don't make paste. Or do, and eat the paste and start over again.

as for the rage free, I think Whole Foods typically carries cage free, not range free, but I could be mistaken. I would not hesitate to sub regular large eggs. 

Ive lost the knowledge of what countries volume measurements differ from one another. If the source of the recipe is not your country, be aware the chance of volume measurement discrepancy.

winniemog Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 3:44am
post #3 of 4

When you're making the hazelnut meal, if you use a couple of tablespoons of sugar from the recipe in the hazelnuts in the food processor, you're less likely to make paste.

With regard to volume measurements, Australian tablespoons are 20ml ie a tablespoon from anywhere else plus a teaspoon. Not sure where your recipe is from but I cooked an Australian ferrero rocher cake recipe recently. It was quite good but the hazelnut sponge was a little dry - maybe try adding a syrup eg frangelico syrup to the sponge when torting it.

And you can replace the free range eggs with regular ones but the chickens will have had miserable lives - the distinction is in the welfare of the animal. I hope you find free range eggs - they are what we should all be using!

Good luck with your cake.

flawless1 Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks sooo much for responding rfisher and winniemog 

Quote by @%username% on %date%