My Buttercream Roses Melt Right Away!

Decorating By Juli2527 Updated 5 Aug 2015 , 6:13am by Pastrybaglady

Juli2527 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, ladies I was wondering if you could share your buttercream recipe when you do roses, MY roses are melting so quickly when putting in te nail to pipe. Thanks!

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 6

What kind of buttercream are you using.

i posted a recipe under a wedding cake topic yesterday that works well for piped flowers. You can air dry your flowers a couple days if you like too and they are easy to handle yet remain soft enough to eat unlike royal icing.

its best to make this a few hour or the day before....it stiffens somewhat on standing.  Be sure to stir well before using.  It keeps for weeks in the refrigerator so it's good to keep on hand.

I'll go back and copy it and post it here for you....

Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 6

DECORATOR FROSTING 

1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening

2 pounds powdered sugar

1/2 cup cake flour

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1/3 to 1/2 cup very hot water (not boiling but very hot)

Sift sugar and flour together in mixer bowl.

Add the shortening and mix in a bit with a fork or pastry blended to sort of combine (it will be very lumpy!)

Add 1/3 cup of the hot water and mix on low until mixture begins to come together.

Add more water, a teaspoon or two at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.

Mix in extracts.

This icing keeps for about a month in the refrigerator and can sit out a couple days at room temperature with no problem.

If made ahead of time, you might need to add an additional few spoons of hot water to thin again as it tends to thicken a bit after sitting a while.

This icing is also great for piping flower.  You can air dry them a couple days to make them easy to handle, yet the will remain soft inside unlike a royal icing flower.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 4 Aug 2015 , 9:17pm
Juli2527 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your help,  I will try your recipe tomorrow! I was doing a full buttercream recipe. Thanks,  I really appreciate your help!

Unlimited Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 5:31am
post #5 of 6

Just add more powdered sugar until it's stiff enough for piping roses.

Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 6:13am
post #6 of 6

Part of the problem might be your own physiology if you, like me, have hot little hands!  I have to wear gloves when I pipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%