Should I Wait Until The Fondant Dries Before Painting?

Decorating By km9099 Updated 4 Aug 2015 , 8:06pm by km9099

km9099 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

I'm hoping someone can help me with a dilemma I'm having.  I'm decorating a cake for a relative's birthday party on Saturday.  I'm going to cut out fondant squares (approximately 3" square) and plan to paint them with gel coloring.  

Here's the issue I'm having:  Should I paint them when the fondant is still raw and pliable, or cut out the squares and let them dry, and then paint?

Also, can I do this several days in advance, or should I wait until it's closer to the party?  The fondant decorations won't be put on the cake until the day of the party.  

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just worried about the timing of everything.  

Thank you :)

3 replies
dkltll Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

I usually let the fondant dry, the color dries better that way. The decorations should be fine for several days, even several weeks. I try to get al of my decorations done ahead of time so on the day of all I have left to do is putting it all together. HTH

TkCreations Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 4

You will have a richer and more even coloring if you let it dry.  The cut outs if stored in a dry air tight container will last for a couple weeks. If your short on time, I use a small grate cooling rack and dry them in front of a small desk fan. 

km9099 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for replying!  I was really uncertain about what to do, but your responses really helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%