Fondant And Heat

Decorating By minicoopermel Updated 4 Aug 2015 , 5:54pm by julia1812

minicoopermel Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! 

This weekend I'm doing a wedding cake. It's theme is Alice in Wonderland. Crazy colors and bright fake flowers (brides wishes for the fake flowers) 

I make the MMF and I'm wondering hows it's going to hold up outdoors in a huge barn.  I contacted the owners and they advised my not much sunlight comes thru the sides and they have 4 huge barn doors that make for a cross breeze but they have had a buttercream cake melt before. 

Now I'm in Michigan and it's about 61% Humidity and it's suppose to be 75 degrees this Saturday. 

Should I worry about this cake melting?  

She wants be to be there to set up at 2, wedding vows begin at 4pm.  and reception following after.  Should I stay there for awhile to make sure it's doing ok.  

lol HELP! Any Thoughts would be awesome!! :)

4 replies
Jinkies Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 5

I've never had fondant melt before. I have had a fondant cake that was for an outside party and it was about 80degrees with no problems, it was on a covered porch for hours.

Just make sure the cake is very well chilled.  If I have a delivery on a Saturday, I finish the cake by Friday night and chill it all night until delivery.  I always try to deliver no sooner than 1 hour before the party.

Sooo, I would chill the sucker and see if you can possibly get it there an hour before the wedding unless your assembling on site and need more time.  Is the wedding in the barn?  If, so it's probably a very short ceremony so 2 hours would be ok, I'd think and that may be why they want it there earlier.  

All you can do at that point, is advise that cakes and heat don't mix.

costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 5

at 75 degrees it should be fine.

minicoopermel Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 3:39am
post #4 of 5

Yes the wedding is just outside the barn at the riverside i guess. 

I've  never ever put my cakes in the fridge or freezer before. I am so afraid  it will dry out.

I always just leave the covered cakes  at room temp. Havent had a problem  yet but dont want to jinx myself. 

Doesn't  the fondant  get condensation after being removed  from the fridge?  

I am assembling the cake onsite. Its about an hour drive so i plan to stack all 4 teirs there so theres no travel damage. 

julia1812 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 5

We have 100'f...no problem :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%