Cant Get Royal Icing To Be Thick And Usable For Cut Out Cookies ! =(

Decorating By dgonzalez227 Updated 4 Aug 2015 , 3:46pm by dgonzalez227

dgonzalez227 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

I've watched every youtube and every website blog But  i cant seem to get a good recipe for royal icing or maybe im doing something wrong, Mine last night wasn't only a cream color and super thin. I tried adding more powered sugar and still super thin and looked more like cinnabun icing. 

I tried a no meringue recipe but that wasn't it.

someone please help 

I'm trying to make the paint your own cookies for my sons birthday. and I need to make thick black for boarders and white for the base.

thanks guys! 

9 replies
Jinkies Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 10

I use Julia Usher's recipe and love it.  She's pretty much the queen of cookies.

dgonzalez227 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10

thanks! i actually saw that on youtube last night. hehe 

i didnt use that one because i couldn't figure out how to make half that recipe since I only need maybe two dozen cookies if that. :( 

Jinkies Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 10

Just cut the ingredient measurements in half.  

1lb powdered sugar

1/4 tsp cream of tarter

5 1/2 T of egg whites

There ya go!  Get decorating!

dgonzalez227 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 10

so excited i felt so silly trying to convert everything, do you think i could use that meringue powder instead of egg-whites or its all the same thing>?

i appreciate your fast responses hehe 

Jinkies Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 10

She has directions for using meringue powder as well as how to adjust the thickness for different applications in the link I gave you.  I've never tried it but I'm sure it's fine, she's the expert in that area.

Good luck :)

forjenns Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 10

you can try Wiltons RI recipe.

1lb powdered sugar

3Tbs Meringue powder

5Tbs warm water

Mix on low until incorporated then turn your mixer up to High for about 5 minutes.  It should double in size and be really creamy.  I usually start with 4TBS of warm water (warm is key) then add a few drops at a time umtil I get the consistency I need.

I would hold back a couple TBS of the final mixture to make black then add water a little at a time until you get a flowing consistency for the white  I like 8-10 second icing.

Good luck!

dgonzalez227 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 10

thanks bunches !!!!

Do you think these recipes can be used with an old school two metal prong  hand mixer?

i unfortunately  don't have that nice kitchen aid one, too expensive lol 

Amuyaa Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 10

I've made my royal icing with a hand mixer many times. You just have to mix it a lot longer. Try on High setting 7-10 mins, this gives a stiff RI, see the flowers on a wedding cake I just did, nice edges on them, no drooping :)

dgonzalez227 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 10

ahh i see those look so nice!

the icing im trying to make is the same as these i want to make that white backround, someone mentioned i need t oget white food coloring i didnt know that exsisted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%