Cake Disaster.. I'm So Embarrassed

Business By tessholly1 Updated 8 Aug 2015 , 8:12pm by lily2

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 11:02am
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I feel so unbelievably awful right now, I made a cake to be collected today it was all ready and boxed before I went to bed last night. This morning when I went to check it the whole thing had 'leaked' ..now I'm no professional but I can only imagine my cake was to moist?! It was lemon sponge with lemon cream cheese frosting and I stupidly crumb coated in the same frosting as I completely forgot to make ganache for some reason!! Anyway it was seeping sugary juice from the entire bottom of the cake and so with 2 hours until pick up and a very unhappy 1 year old running round I managed to patchwork it all back together but I HATED it!! I felt so embarrassed to show my client although she seemed genuinely pleased with it.. I know I could have done 10x better and I just can't get over the fact that Iv let such a terrible cake leave my kitchen!! I'm also worrying that with all the 'leaking' the cake might even taste bad now to?! I haven't yet had to face a complaint about my work and I don't know if I could cope if this ended as one!! I'm being very dramatic I know but I'm on such a low I feel like I might as well give up on cake altogether :( so I just wanted to vent and hopefully someone might relate!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 11:39am
post #2 of 8

Hi there, I understand how you feel. But please please don't think of stopping what you love doing. I am pretty sure it will taste delicious regardless what happened. I have few years of experience but I still do make mistakes and learn something everyday. So you are not alone.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 8

This happened to me last weekend. First time ever, and I've been decorating for 10 yrs. We had a heat wave, and unbeknownst to me, hubby shut off the AC while we out. When we came home he put it back on. Didn't notice a thing until the next morning. Same as you, buttercream icing oozing out under the fondant because of sitting in a very warm room . Anyway, I popped cake in fridge to firm up, then piped bc icing all around the perimeter of the cake. Found out bride was happy, and cake still tasted great. So I'm sure yours will too. As bashini posted, don't let this get you down....we've all had one mishap or another..... 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 8

that can be so discouraging -- sorry that happened -- it really is a miserable feeling but we do survive and it's only bound to happen that we have a booboo or some booboos --

btw -- cream cheese icing not kept in the fridge? was it only flavored w/cream cheese flavoring?

we tend to get our egos tied up in the cake box but once we untangle the kinks in the bakery string holding ourselves hostage we can be our pleasant imperfect selves just like everyone else -- win a few lose/loose a few :)

best to you

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for all your support, I guess it just goes towards my learning and experience. If they hate it then it would be unfortunate to lose a potential future customer but I know not to make the same mistakes again, though I'm not 100% sure what they were.. Think I need to work on a new recipe and cut down on the lemon juice or something!!!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 8

Awww, that stinks.  Sorry that happened to you.  Chin up, even the most seasoned cakers have problems with their cakes sometimes. I've been watching old episodes of Cake Boss and, boy, he's had some pretty big mishaps. 

K8s right, we're not perfect, it's gonna happen...it just sucks when it does.  That's when we come here, cry on each other's shoulders and move on to the next cake :)

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 1:54am
post #7 of 8

Just happened to me this weekend...terrible feeling for sure. Just means you care about your product. Nothing you can do about this one so like me, learn from the mishap and move on. Smiles!

lily2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lily2 Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 8

So sorry to hear this happened.  Just wanted to let you know that I once tried to attach fondant pieces to my cream cheese icing (non-crusting) and in no time I had a drippy mess coming from under those pieces.  Fondant and my cream cheese absolutely do not mix.  Maybe this was your case?  Keeping caking!  We learn by our mistakes and failures.  At this point I'm almost a genius!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%