Modeling Chocolate

Baking By flawless1 Updated 1 Aug 2015 , 11:00pm by flawless1

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to baking and just attempted to make modeling chocolate. It started melting after I rolled it out so I refrigerated it so it could firm back up. After I finally got it rolled out and put it on the side of the cake it started melting again.  I used water to attach it to the cake.Is there something that I can add to the chocolate to keep it from melting? I made the chocolate last night around 8 pm and refrigerated it. I took it out of the fridge this morning around 10 am (I didn't melt the chocolate in the microwave I used a double boiler). Please tell me what I did wrong. I made all of these recipes but only tried to cover the cake in the dark chocolate. 

Thanks

Dark Chocolate Modeling Paste:

7 ounces (200 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped

1/4 cup (60 ml) light corn syrup

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Modeling Paste:

7 ounces (200 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons light corn syrup

White Chocolate Modeling Paste:

7 ounces (200 grams) white chocolate, chopped

1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Milk Chocolate Modeling Paste:

7 ounces (200 grams) Milk Chocolate

2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons light corn syrup

2 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 3

I believe your corn syrup ratios are too high.  Most recipes for modeling chocolate call for 1/3 cup corn syrup to 10 ounces of chocolate/candy melts/whatever.  I've found that my best results come from using 24 ounces of chocolate to 1/2 cup corn syrup (or 12 ounces chocolate to 2 ounces corn syrup).

Go ahead and melt your chocolate in the microwave in 30-second bursts.  As soon as it's all melted, add your corn syrup and mix well.  Turn it out on waxed paper on a counter or table.  As soon as it's cool enough to handle, start kneading the oil out of it.  This is messy but it eliminates the excess oil from the chocolate that makes it too soft.  Once it looks more like fondant and you can't get any more oil out of it, cover it and let it rest overnight. 

Treat it just like fondant.  I never refrigerate my modeling chocolate and that's what I cover cakes with.  If I make anything that needs to hold a shape, I add up to 50% fondant or gumpaste.  It still tastes SO much better than straight fondant.

You might try getting it really warm and kneading some of the oil out of it and maybe add a couple of ounces more of chocolate.  I don't know that it will work, but if it does you haven't lost all of it.

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 3

Jgifford thanks so much for responding. I will be trying your method tomorrow.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%