White Chocolate Not Melting

Baking By ChocolateLove Updated 10 Aug 2015 , 1:19am by Norcalhiker

ChocolateLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateLove Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 1:11am
post #1 of 13

Hello, 

I am trying to make ganache. I used about 210 g white chocolate and 75 g heavy cream. I boiled the cream and poured it over Giradelli white chocolate chips. However, the chips are not melting, they are just clumping. So, I put them on top of a boiler and then some of them melted but its a very clumpy mixture. 

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Also, if I whip up this mixture (hoping everything melts properly), how long can I leave the cake with whipped ganache out since it will have gumpaste decor on it. 

I appreciate any help since my cake is being delivered tomorrow!

12 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 1:56am
post #2 of 13

Are they chips meant for going into for example chocolate chip cookies or is it chips of melting chocolate?

I don't make white chocolate ganache, but regular chocolate chips are a bit different in their behavior than melting chocolate is...

ChocolateLove Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 2:07am
post #3 of 13

Hmm. Well, they do have a giant chocolate chip cookie picture on the packaging. But, I always use giradellehi chips for my semi sweet chocolate and never ran into trouble.

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 2:38am
post #4 of 13

Was the cream actually boiling?........it may have been too hot

ChocolateLove Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 4:53am
post #5 of 13

Nope, as it started to bubble on the sides, I took it off. BUT. I do think it may have been too hot for white chocolate, since WC just tends to be ridiculous with heating. :/

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 5:36am
post #6 of 13

Did you start to mix it as soon as you put the cream on the chocolate? I find that I need to leave the cream/chocolate for a minute or else the chocolate seizes.

I imagine that the minute just sitting there allows the chocolate to accept the temperature difference but I am not basing that on anything other than my own judgement.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 5:37am
post #7 of 13

Also I use white chocolate a lot in ganache and I personally find that as long as it is left to sit once the cream is added then it works just as easily as milk chocolate.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 13

can you strain it

ChocolateLove Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 13

Ah, I think I may have mixed it a bit early. 

ChocolateLove Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 13

I did end up straining it and using it as a filling instead of frosting! 

ModernLovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ModernLovers Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 13

Before, I had exactly the same problem as you. Now I melt the chocolate first over a hot water bath and then I put the cream. Works just fine.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 13

I wonder if moisture got into the chocolate and that is why it seized. Maybe it was due to storage (was it a brand new pack that you opened? How was it stored?) I don't let chocolate rest but stir it immediately to aid melting. I do not use chocolate 'chips' which are meant to be bake safe (so they do not melt in the oven). Why not microwave the chocolate next time and see how it behaves? Please come back and let us know if you manage to make the ganache with this product and what method you used.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 1:19am
post #13 of 13

Chocolate chips are compound chocolate not couverture.  The compound chocolate is vegetable oil based, with very little if any cocoa butter.  

Compound chocolate melts at a higher temperature than couverture because of the cocoa butter replacer.  It also thickens into a useless blob when the temperature is too high.  If you have a clumpy blob, it's been exposed to temperature above 115 degrees. I stopped using  compound chocolate, but in the past I found the best way to melt it is in a double boiler.  Make sure the pan does not come in contact with the water and set the pan over simmering water, not boiling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%