Where Do I Start Getting A Job??

Business By katel Updated 3 Aug 2015 , 2:39pm by Honey6983

katel Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I am ready for a career change but am not sure how to go about it. I have been a teacher but have always loved baking and cake decorating. I do it for friends and family and I've been told that I am pretty good. I would love to get a job in a bakery and learn more. I have taken all the Wilton classes and loved them. Our local college offers a "pastry" certificate but I was told that that may not be worth the time and money.

How do I enter into the cake world? What training should I get and how?? I would love some advise . I'm a 46 yr old mom of an 8 yr old in school with a husband who works crazy long hours.  I'm trying for follow my dream but not sure if my schedule will allow me to. I really need to work while in school. Help!! 

Kate 

6 replies
BritRo Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 7

Hello and welcome to the baking world!

I would possibly try starting a small business from your own home, doing lots of online advertising via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I also notice that a lot of local home bakers use an app called OfferUp to advertise their cakes and other baked goodies. I think working at home would be best since you're practically your own boss and make your schedule. 

As for working in someone's bakery, I would write up a resume and bring in a little portfolio of the cakes and other goodies you've made to show the owner/manager your work.

BakersLife Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 7

I also did a career change! I dropped out of college for education because I found my true passion was baking. I was completely lost as well. The best thing I could of done was go around town to small baking business and see if I could learn from them. I offered to do dishes and other things for free (while keeping a full time job). I got a few no's from people but then I kept going and found a lady who took me in! I worked with her for a whole year. She taught me the ins and outs of baking/decorating. Gave me all her books she had from learning as well. I was very fortunate! Then she found a listing of a bakery hiring, told me about it, I went for the application and got hired! Super Lucky!!!! Now I work in a bakery and have my own side business of baking for friends/family. It;s all about starting from the bottom and working your way up. Don't be discouraged! 

katel Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 12:25am
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for the advise. I was told that there are "cottage laws" so starting a home based business would be difficult because of that. I like the idea of talking to other bakery's. Thanks again!

littlejewel Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 2:04am
post #5 of 7

I took all the Wilton classes plus the master course at the school.  A woman that was in the class along with me got hired at Meijer as a cake decorator a few weeks after completing the course, so maybe try there.  I think Walmart and Sam's clubs would hire you right off the bat, but you might need to talk to the store manager or co-manager manager first. 

birdsbug Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

I'm finding the Cottage Food laws in my area (Colorado) are making it easier to run a home-based business.  This way, I'm not having to go through the ins/outs of certification, food inspections, etc.  I will do those things once I'm able, but for my area, to be fully licensed, I'm even required to have a kitchen that is entirely separated from the regular home kitchen.  Not a possibility at this point for me.  The Cottage Food piece takes some of that out of the equation.  Worth looking into if you want to be your own boss!

(Also an elementary teacher with 3 small kids!  I understand your journey a bit! It is A LOT while trying to work full time in that world!)

*Last edited by birdsbug on 3 Aug 2015 , 2:48am
Honey6983 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 7

Good for you! I quit my corporate job 3 years ago to do caking full time. Since you have some experience in cakes, I'd recommend making up some professional looking portfolios  with pictures and captions of cakes you have done and your resume. Perhaps also a cover letter explaining just what you explained to us. That way, you can show up in person to bakeries you might be interested in working for and hand them your work. I did that and it landed me a seasonal job at a wonderful bakery which gave me loads of excellent experience prior to starting my own business. This is a good time of year to start this process as many bakeries hire seasonal help for the holidays and would probably be willing to work with your schedule. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%