Ingredient Ratios

Baking By johnfun4

johnfun4 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 1

Hi everyone,

I want to bake a cake for which I have a recipe. This is a fruitcake and typical for the Caribbean even though locally we have a slight variation of the Caribbean version, which is called Black Cake.

The recipe calls for about 7 pounds of nuts and fruits and about 2 liters of alcohol. Here is the glitch. as you mix the fruits it requires the addition of more alcohol to get it to a mushy consistency, so there goes the ratios of the fruit ingredients versus the cake batter, which is for a basic pound cake (1 lb of flour, butter, eggs, etc).

I wanted to make a small batch to test it (my first time) but due to the above, I cannot scale the recipe accurately. Does anyone have a suggestion?? The ingredients are too expensive to go about experimenting (haha).

The cake is a very moist cake and the batter really serves only to hold the fruit together. I suspect that it finds its roots in English Plum pudding seeing the Caribbean heritage of being former English colonies, but I am not sure.  This cake is not steamed, but baked with a pan of water in the oven and on a very low temperature (around 250F).

Any suggestions??

Thanks and kind regards,

John Fun 

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%