Opinions On Cake Ideas???

Baking By cstrass95 Updated 31 Jul 2015 , 2:32pm by cstrass95

cstrass95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cstrass95 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 5:08am
post #1 of 7

Okay so I just got an order to make a white cake with strawberry and/or cannoli filling. Since I decided on a tiered cake i was going to do the bigger tier with cannoli filling and the smaller one with strawberry. Now should I do a buttercream frosting or fondant? The woman who ordered the cake is leaving it up to me to decide and i'm not sure which will be better. Also its for 30 people so would a 6 and 8 inch tier with three 1 inch layers in each be enough or should I go bigger? Will it look good? Thanks for your help!

6 replies
crisrag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisrag Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 9:42am
post #2 of 7

Hello cstrass95, if you are doing cannoli filling, it has fresh ricotta cheese in it so it has to be refrigerated, I'd say buttercream as fondant will sweat if you put it in the fridge. For the size, I'm bit exaggerated, but I've done a wedding cake for 23 people in those sizes, 8" and 6", and they had only one or two slices left over, I'd go with a 10" and 8" I guess, but that is just me. Hope I've helped :)

cstrass95 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your help @crisrag!  Yeah i knew fondant shouldnt be refrigerated but some people had told me they didn't really have a problem with it and any excess moisture evaporated by serving time so im not sure what to do. And yeah 8" and 6" may just be enough depending on how they cut it so im not sure 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 7

I refrigerate my fondant cakes all the time and have never had an issue.  It will sweat when you take it out but will dry just fine as it comes back to room temp.  I just make my clients aware not to touch it until it dries  to avoid fingerprints.

I would, at some point, do a test cake for your family, and refrigerate it and see how it works out for you.  That way at least you'll know in the future if it's an option.  You may love it or hate it.

Everyone has different opinions on what does and doesn't work for them.  Try everything and see what works for you.

I did an 8 & 6 for a family party recently (both 4" high).  There were about 22 people and we had plenty of cake.  Some had seconds, some took some home and we still had leftovers.  I cut the cake though with wedding slice sizes (1x2x4).  After all the pizza, etc...it was plenty (plus, we had ice cream).  So, maybe ask your client if they are serving a big dinner or any other desserts and make sure they know how to cut the cake properly to get all their servings. If they are not cutting huge wedges, an 8 & 6 should be fine.

cstrass95 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you @jinkies! That was very helpful i plan on doing a test cake 

crisrag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisrag Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 7

Super agree with all that Jinkies said. I also do refrigerate all the time my fondant cakes, I just mentioned that cause you might didn't know about it getting humid and could be a unpleasant surprise if you didn't like the look of it ;)

cstrass95 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 7

I appreciate it! Thank you both of you, youve been great helps. Im definitely going to do a test run cake and make sure everything looks good :P 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%