Cake, Filling Storage And Icing Problems

Decorating By Leannescakez Updated 30 Jul 2015 , 1:48pm by Leannescakez

Leannescakez Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 2

My question is about storing a cake in the fridge,

I've found this is a great method to achieve a good finish on an iced cake but this has opened up some new problems.

how do you prevent the dreaded bulges and a very, very slight sag on the cake at the bottom once it's come to room temp?

ive read to poke holes in the top of the cake or breaking the seal around the bottom, then decorate to cover this.

but as I'm using jar jam I've now read that a cake with this filling should be stored in the fridge? But I couldn't start poking holes in a finished cake to prevent this happening once it's in the customers hands.

i would prefer to ice the cake cold and then to let it come to room temp to finish off decorating it, then to give to the customer etc, but is couldn't with this filling

Im wondering how asda etc and can keep cakes with jam filling at room temp in cakes? Confused ha...until a few weeks ago I thought jam filling was safe if it was buttercreamed and sugerpaste days this acts like a seal.

I'm a home baker at the moment with plans to start a business one day so any feedback is greatly appreciated thankyou 

1 reply
Leannescakez Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 2

Ps it's not homemade jam. It's shop bought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%