Naked Cake

Decorating By HB86 Updated 30 Jul 2015 , 3:21pm by -K8memphis

HB86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HB86 Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 12:55am
post #1 of 2

I'm just after some advice on icing a semi naked cake (if that's what it is called... Please see pic)

do I just ice this as a crumb coat? Any tips you might have?

top is caramel mud the bottom white mud.. Will it look funny having two different shades or will the ganache tone it in? 

Thanks in advance your tips are much appreciated 

55b9760f00a0f.jpeg

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 2

what ganache? you're just going to crumb coat it with ganache and let the cake underneath show through? yes that would be a nearly naked cake and the two different cake colors would show through unless you make the coating opaque in which case you won't have a nearly naked cake but it should look as good as these type of cakes can look -- to me a few of these naked cakes look great and most of them look sad -- but i'm sure yours will look great -- and it's a great idea to crumb coat for so many different reasons including that the cake won't dry out and i hope we grow out of this cake phase soon  :)

but all that to say there's a glaze recipe around here somewhere that dora moreno i think it is uses where the cake really looks completely uniced but yet there's a clear glaze protecting it -- i mean you could make one up too -- just find a nice glaze recipe and add gelatin (after blooming it) or just use as is even --

and to me when you do a cake like this the filling should not be smoothed over -- it should be slightly recessed and look rustic not all smoothy smooth -- just my two naked cents

and the cake in the photo is very well done -- i would put a tiny piped decor on the filling like a handful of teeny tiny scrolls or dots or both or even a few different sized dots to make a contrast for the dotted crumb coated sides of the cake kwim

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%