Country Chic Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By MJbakes Updated 29 Jul 2015 , 4:20pm by birdsbug

MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 3

So I'm making my best friends' wedding cake for next weekend.  She's no help with inspiration and details.  All she has told me is she wants a 3 tiered cake with white fondant, her "theme" is country chic, but her colors are blue, silver & black. She's left all the designing up to me and I'm completely drawing a blank! Oh she's also told me that her dress is navy blue!   I think it's the colors that are throwing me for a loop, when I think "country chic", I think sunflowers, daisies, burlap, mason jars. 

She hasn't picked her flowers out yet, which is no help either, but they are going to be silk navy flowers. 

Anyone have any inspiration for me? I really don't want to just go buy some ribbon in her colors and tie a bow. 

I'm stuck!    

2 replies
Winkinpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winkinpa Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 3

How about a white cake with a dark blue fondant sash/ribbon and overlay the ribbon with sugar lace colored in a burlap color.  A dark blue fondant layer could be striking, unless she is solid on the white only.  Quilting can be nice for country chic as well and you could do the pearls in silver or black.  I would prefer silver (oooh, could you see dark blue layer quilted with silver pearls).  The middle layer could be the quilted one with a dark blue ribbon and the top and bottom with the blue lace.

Just my thoughts...

*Last edited by Winkinpa on 29 Jul 2015 , 3:30pm
birdsbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdsbug Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 3

What DOES she have in place already?  Could you use the style of her invite or centerpieces as inspiration?  What is the venue of the wedding/reception?  What do the bridesmaid dresses look like?  Perhaps with some details like those, you could "mirror" those in the design of the cake or display stand/board.  I like the burlap colors (or burlap on the board), or if it's an outside wedding, perhaps you could bring in some natural elements like wood.  Could you do burlap/lace over a navy cake?  (I know she said white, but maybe she'd be flexible.)  I tend to do more buttercream than fondant, but with a buttercream you could do a textured frosting to make it look almost "stucco"-like, which lends itself to the country feel.  Does she mean "country" as in outdoorsy or "country" more like cowboy?  These could have slightly different feels.  If she means more "outdoorsy", perhaps you could do a white fondant cake that is painted slightly to look like an aspen tree, with their initials "carved in" to look sort of like a monogram and accent it with blue flowers staggered around the tiers and base.  If they're going for more casual/cowboy-type, could you incorporate a bandana of sorts that has the blue/black/silver coloring that drapes around the fondant layers.

Honestly, I'd need to ask a few more follow-up questions.  Sounds like a fun creative endeavor, though!  Could you post an update and/or final photo?  I'd love to see what you come up with!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%