How To Put The Decorated Balls On The Top And Side Of This Cake?

Decorating By flawless1 Updated 29 Jul 2015 , 1:56am by flawless1

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 18

Can someone PLEASE tell me how the basketball, football, soccerball and baseball was put on the top of this cake and what piping tips were used? It looks like the grass and the basketball used the same tip, but I cant tell what tips were used for the other balls.  Were the balls on the side of the cake made from royal icing.

Thanks

sports cakes for birthdays | Birthday Cakes

17 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 18

The balls on top were probably made from a cake pop type mix (cake crumbled then mixed with a little icing to make them tacky). The piping on them looks like a start tip and just a round tip for the detail. I wonder if the little balls on the side were made from royal icing and predone and stuck on the sides rather than being directly piped on to the cake.

flawless1 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you soooo much for responding. I never thought that the top of the cake could have came from cake pops mix.

Thanks bubs1stbirthday 

gjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjo Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 12:49am
post #4 of 18

It looks like the side decorations are made of pressed sugar art or purchased on line at your local cake supplier.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 1:12am
post #5 of 18

There is actually a pan available for these balls. It is one pan with 6 cavities...one basket ball, one base ball, one soccer ball, one basket ball, one football and one for a hockey puck.

Not sure if this link will work for you, but here is a picture:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ce/f3/10/cef310de09f32ffb7826175660927d2c.jpg

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 2:03am
post #6 of 18

Or you can use the small round pyrex bowl for the soccerball/ baseball/ basketball. I have also used the jumbo cupcake liner to make domed tops like this pic, here I used 2 domed tops to make the Madam Blueberry Figure. (To get your cupcake to dome bake @ 375 degrees for 5mins then lower the temp to 325)   You could use the domes for your round balls. I would use a small loaf pan and carve the football. I'm a hobby baker and I try to keep costs down by using whatever pans I have on hand. HTH

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 2:18am
post #7 of 18

Here is the blueberry the hat hides the round top, but you get the idea. Hope my explanation is clear. Sorry about the ginormous pics.

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 2:20am
post #8 of 18

Not sure what happened but I will try  to post the pics again

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 2:32am
post #9 of 18

Well they are in my gallery......if you want to take a look

As for the balls on the side of the cake, I would make those out of fondant ahead of time so they dry well. I think I read somewhere, that Royal Icing would not stay well on buttercream, something about the grease of the buttercream melting the royal icing.

Looks like  a grass/fur tip  for the grass , a star tip on the balls.

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 2:43am
post #10 of 18

last try with the pics

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 3:06am
post #12 of 18

ateco grass tip

flawless1 Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks gjo. I  will check the local cake suppliers for the side decorations. 

Thanks kathie- d.  I have never seen that pan before. I would love to have it. I'm going to look for it. If I cant find it then I will use the pyrex bowls like Carolinecakes suggested.

Thanks Carolinecakes. I love the madam blueberry cake. Do you put a flower nail in the bottom of your pyrex bowl when you bake in them? I baked in a pyrex bowl once and the cake came out very dry. The recipe was one that I had used many times and never had a problem. I baked the cake in the pyrex bowl on 325 for about 55mins. I had to take the cake out the oven and cover the sides with foil because the sides cooked faster than the middle. I also greased and floured the pyrex pan and put a flower nail in the bowl. I wonder did the flower nail cause the cake to dry out or was it because it  had to bake for almost an hour.

carolinecakes Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 12:02am
post #14 of 18

Thank you flawless1. While I have not baked a cake in pyrex, others have and this is what I found.

Grease and flour bowls. No one used a flower nail, so you might want to experiment baking without one as a trial.

As far as baking in clear glass, lower temperature by 25 degrees or decrease baking time by about 10 minutes . If it is brown or blue glass, you don't really need to decrease temperature. In general be more vigilant about checking  for doneness (toothpick inserted in center comes out clean) in the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent having a dry, over-baked cake.

Also note that because glass/pyrex retains heat longer than metal, it will continue to cook the cake after you pull in out of the oven for a longer period than metal.

The cake bakes faster in glass so perhaps you had a dried out result because it was over baked. Lower the temp. and check before the set time. HTH

carolinecakes Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 1:41am
post #15 of 18

here's a thread talking about using the flower nail and other tips for  baking in a pyrex bowl.

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/623639/baking-time-for-pyrex-bowl

flawless1 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 1:43am
post #16 of 18

Thanks Carolinecakes for the information on baking with pyrex. I see what I did wrong now.

Thank you so much for all your help.

carolinecakes Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 1:54am
post #17 of 18

You're  welcome, let us know how it turns out.

Happy Baking.

flawless1 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 1:56am
post #18 of 18

Thanks Carolinecakes for the link about cooking with pyrex bowls (iit was very informative).

Thank you sooooo much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%