Cheesecake Wedding Cake

Baking By Lady80 Updated 28 Jul 2015 , 5:31pm by -K8memphis

Lady80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady80 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I am making a 5 tier wedding cake for my soon-to-be-sister-in-law.

The tiers are all going to be separate and so she wants a different flavour for each. For one of the tiers, she wants to have a cheesecake which I , as I always do,  just said yea... of course. As it is getting closer though, I am a little unsure how to do it?! In my head, each tier would be covered in white fondant and then I could decorate them as I wished.  But on investigation, I don;t think it is possible to cover a cheesecake with fondant as it needs to stay in the fridge? And, also, would that even work? So, my next idea was to cover 3 of the tiers with fondant and then do 2 of the cakes with a butter-cream or frosting ruffle, one of which would be the cheesecake. So, I guess, my questions are a) would this work on a cheesecake b) would it taste rank? c) what frosting could I use? d) any other ideas/suggestions on how to do this/pull it off? e) do I just say no cheesecake, it's too much hassle?!!

Thanks!! 

8 replies
LeeGooding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeGooding Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

A few years ago I made decorated cheesecakes for my husband's promotion.  I covered them all in a whipped ganache and then decorated with buttercream.  They also had color flow decorations on top that I set on top of waxed paper cut to match the color flow to keep the oils in the ganache from breaking down the color flow. 
The cheesecakes stayed out at room temperature for several hours before they were served and were fine, although a tiny bit soft.

Hope this helps!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 9

i'm not busting anybody's chops here because i did not know this exactly until fairly recently but...

just for the record the maximum accumulated time cheese cake can stay out of the fridge and remain safe to eat is 4 hours -- this includes all time out of temperature -- shopping/buying time, getting it to room temp in order to mix it, getting it to cool off after baking -- decorating time, delivering time, presentation time, serving time -- four hours max -- then it needs to be discarded --

i have a very ticky stomach -- i was at a meeting recently where they had a lovely array of cheeses and a hot dip and pizza and salad -- was just wonderful -- got the worst stomach ache during the meal -- got worse & worse the longer i sat there -- people who get sick like this think it's their system not the food -- i don't know what it was -- everything tasted wonderful -- i would never call and say oh hey the food killed me -- if i came to know there was a big recall from that meal sure i'd fess up about my ailment but otherwise mum's the word -- so it behooves all of us to do our best and provide the safest food possible --

so all that to say cheesecake left out of temp for over 4 hours does not turn green it is still very delicious and wonderful to eat but the youngest, oldest and the already infirm amongst us will pay a price

so if you are not adept at handling hazardous foods you might want to go with a cream cheese flavored filling or something like that --

best safest baking to you

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 9

I've made a lot of cheesecake wedding cakes, and I use a meringue buttercream to cover them. Confectioner's sugar buttercream doesn't stick to them (and why you'd want to put that on a cheesecake I don't know anyway) but meringues work fine. Keep everything cold through the decorating process and just put them out on display as close to the cutting time as you can get away with and it will be fine.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 9

I've made a lot of cheesecake wedding cakes, and I use a meringue buttercream to cover them. Confectioner's sugar buttercream doesn't stick to them (and why you'd want to put that on a cheesecake I don't know anyway) but meringues work fine. Keep everything cold through the decorating process and just put them out on display as close to the cutting time as you can get away with and it will be fine.

Lady80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady80 Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 7:42am
post #6 of 9

Ok,thanks. I don't even like cheesecake so had no idea what would work! I'm gonna have a practice today then with a Swiss meringue and see how that goes. 

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 9

You could also make a cheesecake flavored cake. I have seen a few recipes on Google. 

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 9

Found one that looks good and you would have to worry about the cake sitting at room temperature:

http://www.parkcitymagazine.com/Park-City-Magazine/Dining/Recipe-Index/index.php/name/French-Vanilla-Cake-with-cheese-cake-flavor/record/2299/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 9

...which i was just at the store and there were two loaded pallets full of  FISH, crab, shrimp and whatever -- i mean taller than i am -- just sitting out in the store -- it was all boxed up but dang get that stuff on ice guys!

ganache works great on cheesecake too 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%