How To Do This Lace?

Decorating By CakesbyMichele Updated 29 Jul 2015 , 4:01am by Jeff_Arnett

CakesbyMichele Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 10

9 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 10

It's done with that "edible lace" powder, the most famous of which is called Sugar Veil. You have to get a mat/mold and also the powder from them. I know that there are other companies now that make edible lace and you might want to search for them, but Sugar Veil is the most known.

Lynne3 Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

Cake lace or Sugar Dress are much easier then sugar veil

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 10

Are those the new ones, Lynne3? I'm so far removed from cake stuff, I don't know what's the latest.

Brookebakescake Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 10

Look on eBay for some really cheap mats. 

TheresaCarol Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 10

The mat that was used is from Crystal Candy and I bought mine from  I used Cake Lace because it is so much easier to use than Sugar Veil and it looked great.

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 10

Why would you say Cake lace is easier to use than Sugar Veil?

TheresaCarol Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 2:18am
post #8 of 10

I had a difficult time getting the Sugar Veil to set/dry.  I tried 3 times before I got it (once I even dried it too hard).  Then I struggled getting it out of the mat.  Cake Lace whipped up faster and spread easier than the Sugar Veil.  I set the oven at the lowest temp and left it in for about 20 minutes.  Let it set at room temperature for about 40 minutes.  The lace came right out.  I have just had better results with the Cake Lace than Sugar Veil.  The Sugar Veil isn't as soft when its dry either.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 2:47am
post #9 of 10

I've bought several good mats from etsy too!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 4:01am
post #10 of 10

By the way....I have that lace mat too.  It's very pretty....but it is NOT MATCHED end to end...meaning the next piece doesn't match the end of the if you want a nice continuous pattern, you have to do a bit of trimming.  That's my only real complaint with a lot of the lace mats out there.

As to mix, I prefer Sugar Dress or Clair Bowman Cake my opinion both are superior to the original Sugar Veil and can be used much quicker after prep.  The Cake Lace brand even has several premixed colors such as gold that you just open the tub, stir and use!

Quote by @%username% on %date%