Just Wanting Some Helpful Critisism.

Decorating By Krymson Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 10:22pm by Jinkies

Krymson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krymson Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 10

Well I cannot figure out how to flip the picture but anyway.

I made this cake for my daughters 3rd birthday. I'm just asking for some helpful critisism and tip to make better. I'm fairly new to cake making.55b4e91c36542.jpeg

9 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 10

I think the only thing you need to work on is the design.  Each of the tiers is level and no bulging and the fondant is perfect on them.  As far as the design, I think the biggest thing for me is color, there is so many different shades of blue which would be fine if the overall color of the cake was white but the top and bottom tier is yet another shade of blue.  Also, the blue on the top and bottom looks like it may have been painted which I would have just used colored fondant or just done white.  Lastly, I would have moved the characters around so that they are not just piled all together on the top. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 2:35am
post #3 of 10

The cake is quite good.  The only elements are small ones which are mostly in the "eye of the beholder".   You've definitely gotten all the "important" issues down.   The biggest thing I noticed immediately is that your photo has background clutter, and you can see the Wilton turn table.

Cake Photos--Easy, cheap way to get great, clean photos:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=159822&forumid=1   

Although you can go to great lengths to perfect the art of photographing your cakes, the method above will allow almost instantaneous improvement in your cake photos for under $10.

Well done! 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 5:00am
post #4 of 10

Awesome cake. Congrats.

Along with regina posted here, I too would have preferred the single hue blue. I once learned to only use one manufacturer's "base" color, and add more white to tone it down. That is the easiest way to make the currently popular ombre effects and looks very elegant.  I am awful at color matching a mixing, so that hunt really helps me. Maybe your eye is better, but I suck.

Really nice cake!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 5:04am
post #5 of 10

that *hint*, not hunt....ugh....edit!

Markosyans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Markosyans Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 6:19am
post #6 of 10

Agree with the others, a different shade of blue would look better. And what I would change is that blue tiers have more white snowflakes, while the white tier -blue snowflakes, it will create a contrast and thus a better look.

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 10:00am
post #7 of 10

Your levelling stacking and fondant covering looks perfect!! That's the hardest part done!!! As others have said its just the colours cake looks brilliant though well done!! Xx

Krymson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krymson Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone. I love doing this so much. I was wondering about to many shades of blue. Lol Any tips on coloring large pieces of fondant. I painted the tiers this time and it's streaky. I make my own mmf but when I've tried coloring the whole thing before putting it on the cake it turns out very sticky and cracks easily. I've also expiramented with airbrushing but the color seems to run that way.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

You definitely need to get coloring fondant down since it is a big part of decorating cakes.  On your problems, its seems like  a few different things may be going on.  If its too sticky then it may need a bit more powered sugar.  If it gets sticky after you put it on your tier it could just be from your cake if your cake is cold prior to applying fondant.  If that is the case the stickiness will go away after a bit.  If the fondant is cracking, it sounds like you are overworking it, putting too much powdered sugar, kneading it too much etc....  HTH

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 10

Awww, what a sweet cake.  Doesn't look like you're new to cake making.

I make my colors as johnson6ofus said.  If you are doing hues of blue.  Make a ball of fondant in the darkest blue you want. Make your snowflakes (or whatever) and then add some white fondant to the leftover blue to make your next color, make those snowflakes, add more white, etc etc....

That way you'll have different hues of blue but they won't clash, just a nice fading of the same color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%