Opening A Commercial Kitchen In Md

Business By aie9101 Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 4:04pm by -K8memphis

aie9101 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 8:34am
post #1 of 6

Hello,  I have a few questions. I live in Maryland and can't bake from home.  I have contacted local kitchens to rent and they want $450 a month for the first 10 hours then 45.00 an hour after that & you must sign a 6 month agreement. My daughters and I have baked for years and the oldest is in culinary school.   I am writing my business plan.  But I need help in knowing exactly what equipment is needed to start a bakery, how much square footage should I look for and if there are any books that will help. Also is there a place to do research on bakery numbers for the business plan. 

Thanks  in advance 

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 11:55am
post #2 of 6

knowing exactly what equipment you need is up to what kind of baking you will be doing and how you do it -- for example doing desserts for a restaurant/catering would likely require walk-in refrigeration or even if you want a big cake operation -- same with square footage -- what kind of baking, how many people in there what kind of volume -- 

also knowing exactly what you need to comply with local regulations can only be determined with the various local authorities such as health dept, fire marshall, code enforcemnt, zoning, etc. And it is common to receive conflicting information even from the same agencies -- none of them speak for the others even if they say they do -- so double check everything 

what kind of bakery numbers? a marketing analysis is often conducted to determine the viability of a business before the business plan is even started -- determines how much traffic you can expect how much is available and how much of it your competition already consumes, things like that to see if it's even feasible in that area

i'd say 500 sq ft would be the smallest but if you're gonna be retail I'd want 1000 sf min but could be squished into smaller just depends on what you're gonna do

snixsnaxshax Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 6

snixsnaxshax Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 6

I live in Maryland too. You can bake from home, you just can't sell it from your house. You can sell at local farmers markets as long as it is labeled with ingredients and net weight. You can't make over $25,000 per year and you can't sell items that have a cream cheesed based, like cheesecakes without a food permit. Check out the food cottage laws for the state of Maryland. I have a small business in Maryland I bake from home and go to farmers markets. HOpe this helps

Leigh Ann 

aie9101 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 1:02am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone, I have checked the cottage laws, health department and  other regulations. All my  products are cheesecake. That's why I know I can't cook from home.  I have done many other cakes, but when looking at equipment there are so many types of ovens. I guess that is my main concern the correct oven. 

Andrea Edwards 

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

you have a greater hurdle because your product is hazardous unless handled expertly -- you likely will need a walk in or at least great refrigeration and freezers -- you probably will need a HACCP, a hazard analysis critical control point plan -- pronounced hassip -- to ensure to the powers that be that you have the upper hand on proper food handling -- not that you don't already i'm just saying if you get this it will go a long way for you -- check out servsafe manager certification for more details --

i've baked cheesecakes in all kinds of ovens, deck ovens, convection ovens, home ovens --

Quote by @%username% on %date%