How Do I Stick A Large Wired Rocking Horse Into The Top Of A Cake?

Decorating By CakeMakingMad Updated 26 Jul 2015 , 2:33am by -K8memphis

CakeMakingMad Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I really need to know, how can i insert a wired rocking horse, like in the photo below safely into a cake and also securely so that it will not tear the fondant and fall over?

Thanks very much for any help that can be given, i really appreciate it!!!

Many Thanks :)

55b3b9fc8e804.png

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 7

i would make it double sided -- y'know make two of them joined at the top and apart at the bottom so it could stand better -- then just a few carefully placed skewers would make it secure placed down into the cake possibly carefully piercing the bottom board (of the top tier)  the skewers i would build into the rockers so they dried in there -- you could only do one in each rocker if you want it to pierce the bottom board -- otherwise you run the risk of it cracking as thin as it is -- or make holes in the rockers where the skewers would fit after it dries --

then it totally works to have it open at the bottom like a real rocking horse would be with two rungs/rockers on the bottom --

that would be most secure way that i can think of 

CakeMakingMad Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

I think I understand what you are saying...

so stick 2 together but just by sticking the top together and have the bottoms apart like a 3d rocking horse 

but I don't quite understand how I would pierce the board with the skewers?

thanks so much for your response!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 7

http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/woodworking-and-crafts/rockin-horse-project/project

this type of double sided rocking horse but you don't even have to make all the adjoining pieces in the middle -- just rest them against each other at the top -- in fact after it dries i would probably  sand off the top edge on each one so they rest together easy -- you could toss the saddle over both of them though --

that is a very lean rocking horse -- i would fatten him up a bit

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 7

i use the long shish ka bob bamboo skewers for barbeque-ing -- so if you have one end stuck into the rocker -- as you sink it all into the cake at the correct angle,  you can carefully make it go all the way down into the board with the pointy end -- you have to be careful to not crack the piece but you can do it if you're careful --

but again that rocking horse is quite thin so a fatter rocker would be to your advantage --

just depends on how much security you need -- you could place that tier on top of a piece of 1" or 1/2" foam the same size as the cake and decorate it as if it were part of the tier -- so the skewer would hit a softer easier medium to sink into --

depending on how you make it you might only need one skewer -- my mind is traveling sixty different ways thinking of all the variables -- feel free to ask me a question...

CakeMakingMad Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks a lot , going to do a practice horse with a practise 6" cake and try a few things, I use the thick cake boards which are quite tough so I don't think I would get a skewer through it without cracking the horse 

thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 2:33am
post #7 of 7

use foam under the cake like a mini layer or use a different type of board or something like that is what you need to do to make it safe secure stay upright and not tear up the icing --

i mean if you can place it on there on there after delivery that's easier of course ----

the problem with that particular horse is it's bigger than the top of the tier so that's more of an engineering thing --

hey it might be stuck to the back of the r and y baby block, huh -- and the rocker could have a big huge tab on it that could sink into the cake firmly -- that'd be more secure to then also stick it onto the blocks -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%