Mudcake To Choc Mint Mudcake... How To?

Baking By Brookebakes Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 12:16pm by shellbell181

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 3:52am
post #1 of 7

I have a great mudcake recipe and have a request for a choc mint mudcake for an upcoming order. I'll be using 3 x 10 inch cakes, 2 inches high.

I'm unsure in how much flavouring/ essence to use to get the right flavour balance. For reference, I'm in Australia so our most readily available essences are "Queen" brand. I also have a little bottle of LorAnn choc mint oil, but again, don't know how much to use. Also, at what stage of the recipe do I add it - right at the end?

Thanks.

6 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 7

One option is to use your regular chocolate cake recipe, and use mint buttercream.  If you want the cake itself to be minty, add 1 to 2 tsps peppermint extract to the batter (for 2 9 inch cakes - more if multiplying).  Or even better - use peppermint oil, but 1/4 to 1/2 tsp as it is much stronger.  Start with the smaller amount and taste and adjust.  Don't want it to overpower the chocolate.  Mix it in anytime. For mint buttercream, SMBC with peppermint oil (just a little!) and some peppermint schnapps mixed in is wonderful!!

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 9:56am
post #3 of 7

I like the peppermint oils from Cake ornament company. I use them to flavour the ganache, and a sometimes the mud cake. Just add it when you add vanilla. Leave out the coffee. If your recipe has coffee in it. 

Mimimakescakes Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 10:00am
post #5 of 7

Oh and I would use maybe a capful for each ten inch cake , or if you go with the ganache , I put about one capful in with the cream when I bring it up to the boil before the chocolate goes in. 

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 11:18am
post #6 of 7

Thank you very much! Will start baking this weekend - I figure I can try how the flavour turns out when I trim the cake top :)

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 7

If u find its not strong enough once it's out the oven u could add the essence to simple syrup and brush/ spray each layer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%