Friday Night Cake Club For 7/24/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 26 Jul 2015 , 4:11pm by catlharper

catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 2:31am
post #1 of 21

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

20 replies
catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 2:34am
post #2 of 21

Hi everyone! I'm typing from our new home in Monterey!!! We are SO happy to be here! There have been a few hiccups but the house is about 75% unpacked and we love living here already! I don't think our grandkids believe we really are here all the time now! LOL! We still have to go back to our old home and clean it up, pick up our storage and a few more things at the house tomorrow but it is truly lovely to live in a place were a VERY hot summer day is 84 degrees and not 104 degrees!

Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to see lots of photos of the cakes you have been working on these past two weeks!

autumnwind Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 4:09am
post #3 of 21

Hey, Cat, so glad to hear that you're getting settled into the new house! Been having trouble uploading photos, but have to admit I look forward to checking in on cake club and missed you last week.  glad you're / we're back. :)

catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 4:53am
post #4 of 21

@autumnwind  Hope you figure out how to upload your photos!! Would love to see what everyone has been working on and get my "cake fix"!! LOL

tita23 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 5:49am
post #5 of 21

Hello everyone i am a newbie these are my 3rd n 4th fondant covered cakes i keep having the same problem the buttercream seeps out the the middle and makes a buldge i would love feed back on what i could do55b32359b0e4b.jpeg55b3235a9899e.jpeg

catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 5:56am
post #6 of 21

@tita23  The problem you have is very common. There are a few things that can help but I don't know anything that is guaranteed to stop it. First of all, fill and crumb coat your cakes the day before you cover it with the fondant and then let it settle over night. In the morning you can smooth the edge away. The second thing you can do is use a very stiff icing "dam". Pipe a line of very stiff icing almost to the edge of your layer. Then fill with whatever you wish inside of that "dam". Let settle and then cover with fondant. The last tip is to seal your cakes with ganache and let set up overnight till nice and hard. This is the more expensive way of doing things but it does create a hard "shell" that still tastes really good. Love the baby booties...SO cute!

ps...welcome to the group!

shellbell181 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 6:11am
post #7 of 21

This is a cake made for a co workers best friends hen party the theme was Disney princess!!! I hope I got the theme across without it looking too child like!!55b328a216930.jpeg

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 6:33am
post #8 of 21

@catlharper  Congratulations, you made it!  The weather has been really nice this past week, but a heatwave is on it's way next week.  Can I come and hang out at your house?  I love the beaches in Monterey!

@shellbell181  I love your cake!  It's very clean and your draping is beautiful.  It's great for a bridal shower.

I'm working on a sushi cake for Saturday, no pictures yet, but I love checking in on Fridays to see what everyone is doing.

SweetShop5 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 21

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great week!

@catlharper  Congratulations on the move!

@shellbell181  LOOOOVE your cake! The draping is absolutely amazing. The entire design is beautiful.

SO happy we can finally post photos now! So here is my work for the week.

A half bride and half groom wedding cake. This was really fun to make, I've never done anything like this before so it was a fun twist.

And these "I Love NYC" sugar cookies!

and I don't believe there was a thread last week so here's what I made last week:

Cake pops with sprinkles:

Baby shower sugar cookies:

Bride and groom themed cake pops:

Cupcakes with different themes:

Groom and bride cakes:

and finally a 2 in 1 cake for a baptism and birthday:

catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 21

It's always SO much fun to come here on Saturday mornings and see the creations!! 

@Pastrybaglady  Come on over!! LOL! Of course I'll put you to work unpacking! LOL! But yes, our highest temp this upcoming week is supposed to be 81...I think that will be a beach day! Can't wait to see your sushi cake!

@shellbell181  SOOOOO cute! And, yes, grown up but still princess! Love it!

@SweetShop5   Love ALL of the creations but, for whatever reason, the one that caught my in, the one I'd want myself, was that sweet little Bride cake! Now the one my 4 year old grandson loves is the baptism/birthday cake! LOL! 5

Well, we are off for a hard day. Driving back to the old house, loading up the storage unit and then cleaning the old house. UGH. And it's supposed to be 95 in Sacramento today. Double UGH. I'll look forward to getting back here and seeing who else chimed in with pretty stuff!

Webake2gether Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 5:30pm
post #11 of 21

Hello everybody I sooo missed the Friday night cake club last week!!! Congrats on the move and great work everyone!!! We did 8 dozen cupcakes to donate to a benefit. It's for a 15 year old girl with lymphoma. Her shirts are green and her ribbon is purple this is what we came up with 55b3c7bd7f03b.jpegThe baking cups are multi colored leopard print :)

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 21

@SweetShop5     You are doing great business - so busy!  Your work is always clean and so professional.

@Webake2gether  I'm sure everyone loved your cupcakes :)  Do you find you are getting faster on these kind of production jobs?

Here's my weird mix of cake and design:  The cake is durian, the buttercream is vanilla, the look is sushi.  I thought it was strange, but that's what the customer wanted.  When I was mixing the batter my husband comes upstairs and asks, "Is there a gas leak or something?"  "No, I'm just baking a durian cake..."  He immediately jumps into action, creating an air sucking situation and throws out or washes anything that touched the durian. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 21

Something went wrong when I tried to post the cake.  Trying again...

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 21

I keep getting that stupid 500 error message.  Trying the pain in the butt way:

Sushi Cake

Webake2gether Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 21

@Pastrybaglady  We are delivering them at 4 today so I hope everyone loves them. I did all my prep work through the week. Icing and fondant work Wednesday and baked all of them yesterday. My husband iced them and I was right behind him doing the ribbons and sprinkles. We had a good system going and took less than an hour. I can't wait to have a commercial grade kitchen because there is a lot of rearranging and things being everywhere. I could do several hundred now with my eyes shut so that's good right?? I love your sushi cake by the way another interesting order for sure :)

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 7:55pm
post #16 of 21

That's definitely a good thing!  Too bad there's no more Cupcake Wars, but there is Cake Wars.  I hope someone from CC goes on it and lets us know!  @SweetShop5  I nominate you two, you guys know how to crank 'em out!

Webake2gether Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 11:34pm
post #17 of 21

@Pastrybaglady  I will humbly say I don't have the baking chops for cupcake wars lol. I've got the basics almost down so still a lot for us to learn. I'd probably have a nervous breakdown on national tv :) oh I did make a yummy chocolate mousse pie with homemade whipped cream for desert last night but we dug into it before I got a good picture...maybe next time I can keep our forks out of it long enough to snap a picture. 

SweetShop5 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 2:27pm
post #18 of 21

@catlharper  thank you for the sweet words :) My favourite is actually the little groom cake haha!

@Pastrybaglady  Thank you so much! Just saw your Sushi cake and its amazing! Your cakes are always to creative and different from what I see on the internet, its rare these days so keep it up!

I would totally be up for Cake Wars haha! When Cake Boss came to my city a few months ago he was telling us he wants to start Next Great Baker in Canada, I would definitely sign up!

cara1982 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 21

I've had a busy 2 weeks. I don't know how those in a warmer climate cope! The humidity has made things really difficult.

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 3:50pm
post #20 of 21

Your cakes are so perfect!  I love the social media and the Avengers cakes!  How did you do the iphone?  I would never know you had any kind of problem.  So you and SweetShop5 should go do The Next Great Baker!  I seriously want to root for someone I "know"!

catlharper Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 4:11pm
post #21 of 21

WOW Everyone! GREAT creations! @Webake2gether  I simply love the idea of the leopard print cupcake liners for those!!! Perfect paring!

@Pastrybaglady  Love the sushi! That plaque makes it! Exquisite work.

@cara1982  Love all of the cakes but the "tech" one is my favorite! Your work is amazing.

My hubby has long said I need to be on one of the competition shows but I have to say...I'd kill someone. The first judge or commentator who hung over my shoulder wanting me to chat with them while I was working on one of those crazy time schedules they set would be in BIG...HUGE...danger from me! LOL! I need it cool and quiet when I work and those who come to stare get glared at! LOL! I'm thinking I don't have the right temperament for one of those shows! LOL!

Yesterday went as well as could be expected. It was scorching hot in Sacramento so we got everything out of our storage unit, got out what little there was in the house still and opted to just pay the money for the apartment complex to clean the place up. UGH. After 8 years it was a mess but we would have spent another 6 hours working on it and I'd rather pay the $135 to have someone else do it. As it was we got home at 10pm last night simply wiped out. Today we get to unload all of that...oh joy. The good news is that we are having friends over to celebrate a birthday this week (no cake, he's an ice cream person) and then I'm headed to the beach for the day after! Toes in the sand will make all the weariness from the move melt away!

Have a great week everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%