Fondant Ruffle Petal Cake

Decorating By Lindasicings Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 7:30pm by Lindasicings

Lindasicings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindasicings Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:15am
post #1 of 12

I have someone wanting a ruffle petal cake for their wedding like this one Ruffle Petal Cake.

I have now tried two, on in fondant ruffles on buttercream (the bride wanted buttercream). It looked great until it set awhile then the ruffles slid off the buttercream. 

So I figured the second one would be all fondant. As I wanted it to set up, I made the ruffles with I mixed 1/2 gum paste and 1/2 fondant and it set up but it was like plaster. No way of cutting it or eating it.

Has anyone successfully found a ratio of fondant to gumpaste where it is able to be cut?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to serve/cut this cake.

It is a beautiful cake but unsure if it can be cut at a wedding or eaten :)

11 replies
mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:22am
post #2 of 12

I would just cover with fondant and use fondant petals....no gumpaste

Lindasicings Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:25am
post #3 of 12

I am trying my third go around tomorrow so I will try covering in fondant and then fondant ruffles with no gum paste.  Have you tried this effect?  Fondant will get hard and I am wondering how it will cut.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:41am
post #4 of 12

I'd use a candy clay/fondant mixture for that. It will be stiffer than fondant when you roll it out thinly, but it will stay soft to cut through. Or just get white fondarific, which is basically a candy clay and fondant hybrid. Easy to work with. I'd cover the cake with fondant first, though, since those pieces are heavier than the thin strips of ruffles that  you can attach to buttercream without worrying about them shifting around.

mccantsbakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 2:20am
post #5 of 12

^on second thought I would do it like Kara said.   She has mad skills.  

I have only done smaller ruffles, and it was fondant covered, fondant petals.  

Lindasicings Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 12

You mentioned using a candy clay/fondant mixture.  I found how to make candy clay with candy melts and corn syrup.  Would straight candy clay work for this? I have Satin Ice Fondant in stock now.  Would I mix the two together?  Can you tell me will the Fondarific be different than Satin Ice?

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 12

Why don't you try it and see for yourself how/if it works, instead of expecting/demanding answers from others?

mccantsbakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you for asking your questions, I don't know anything about candy clay and fondant mixed or even working with candy clay alone.   I spent a little time watching some tutorials and learning about it.   It looks awesome.    Gonna add to my cake bucket list of things to plat with ;) 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 12

Candy clay - modeling chocolate - by itself won't hold its shape for ruffles.  It's great for covering cakes and tastes just like tootsie rolls, but if you need to form anything you'll have to add up to 50% fondant or gumpaste.

Note:  most recipes call for too much corn syrup, usually 1/3 cup to 10 ounces of candy melts/almond bark/whatever.  I've found that for any kind of strength, you need no more than 1/2 cup corn syrup to 24 ounces. 

Lindasicings Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 12:05am
post #10 of 12

Here is a picture of final outcome. Ruffle Petal Cake 

I made the Candy Clay/modeling chocolate.  I put fondant on two cakes tried one with the candy clay alone and one with Satin Ice Fondant.  They both are holding the ruffles but I found the fondant easier to work with than the candy clay.  When I tried 50/50 gumpaste and fondant it was too hard and you couldn't cut it.

The test will be tomorrow if the bride can cut it and likes the sample cake :) 

Thanks to everyone for the help and tutorials. 

mccantsbakes Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 5:43am
post #11 of 12

It looks fantastic!!!! Awesome job! Xoxo

Lindasicings Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 12

Final outcome is the bride was able to cut the cake with the Satin Ice petals on Satin Ice covered cake.  The 50/50 mix of gumpaste was not successful.  So after 4 cakes, I would recommend using Satin Ice, the petals held their shape being hard enough but still able to cut through and it tasted good also.  Anxious to hear how others achieve this look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%