Will Freezing A Cracked Cake Make It Worse?

Decorating By honeybee22 Updated 24 Jul 2015 , 11:45am by honeybee22

honeybee22 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 5:48am
post #1 of 5

I baked a 3D bear cake and it cracked slightly. Im going to decorate it tomorrow night but wanted to store it in freezer and take it out tomorrow morning so it will have time to thaw. Will this make the crack worse?

Should I just wrap it well and leave on counter?

4 replies
julia1812 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 6:30am
post #2 of 5

I don't think it will make it worse. But why do you wanna freeze it for one day anyway? Just use buttercream or ganache to glue the cracks together. 

honeybee22 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 8:15am
post #3 of 5

I was thinking about skipping the freezing.  I'm still fairly new to baking so im just really nervous. I have always done cakes the day of or late the day before, so I'm unsure about timing, freshness, etc...  won't need cake till Saturday afternoon.

julia1812 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 8:27am
post #4 of 5

So you baked it two days before it's due,right? That's fine. But I don't see the need to freeze it. Many people bake Thursday, decorate Friday for Saturday delivery.  Once the cake has cooled the cracks might even look smaller than before. And if you cover it in buttercream or ganache it will be invisible :) 

If you have trouble with your timing I recommend baking and crumb coating a cake in advance and then freezing it in a box wrapped timely in cling film. Or even freezing the fully decorated cake. Leave it wrapped until thawed to avoid sweating. Of course you can freeze plain cakes too (wrapped in cling film). Buy why going through the hassle for one day...not necessary I find personally. 

Good luck.

honeybee22 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 11:45am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much the help! I feel a lot better now on baking early. Decided not to freeze the cake and just covered it till I can frost later. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%