Cakes Stuck To Pan!

Baking By Cakemom21 Updated 24 Jul 2015 , 12:23am by Cakemom21

Cakemom21 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 12

I made the Beyond Buttercream basic cake recipe today. (I just bought the file this morning), and it tastes wonderful, except it stuck to my cake pans. I used buttermilk, and butter with 3 whole eggs for this batch. I used my homemade cake release (equal parts shortening, oil, and flour) as I have for years with no problems. It stuck, it stuck bad. I left it in the pan about 15 minutes. Any thoughts? I have another batch in the oven,this time making it with whole milk, shortening, and 3 whole eggs, and this time I made two with my cake release and a parchment circle in pan, and two with food release spray and a parchment circle in it.

I made 2- 6" cakes and 2-4" cakes for each recipe.

11 replies
Cakemom21 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 12

These are the first round with how it looked out of the oven and how they looked after I took them out of the pan and put the stuck part back on.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 12

It looks like it isn't quite cooked in the centre and like the pans may be overfilled? It doesn't appear to have risen correctly because you have almost an outer ring around the edge of the pan. Since there is buttermilk in the recipe I assume there is baking soda too, right?

Are those options - from the recipes - using whole milk or buttermilk and shortening or butter? Because the change of milks changes leavening agent use.

How deep are your pans? 

To save yourself from stuck cakes, you might like to always line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper after you grease and flour or use whatever you use to prepare your pans. 

jgifford Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 12

All I can say is - - Wow. This is one reason I prefer to use oil instead of butter.  However, I haven't had anything stick for years except for last week when I tried someone's tip of letting the pans sit for 30 minutes before putting them in the oven.  That didn't work so well for me.

I always just grease and flour the pans the way my grandmother taught me, but I read a tip online many years ago and it hasn't failed me yet.  When you take the pans out of the oven, immediately set them on a wet towel.  I'm sure there's a scientific reason this helps, but I really don't care - as long as it works.  My cakes are out of the oven, leveled and out of the pan within 2 minutes.  Then they go straight into the freezer (unwrapped) just until they're cool, then they get crumb-coated.

I'm sure I just horrified half the baking community, but this is what works for me.  My cakes aren't dry and there's a lot of time saved. Don't know if any of this will help, but it might be worth a try.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 12

I should have explained that a bit better. If the recipe calls for milk and instead you use buttermilk - that affects the leavening agents used. So if the recipe called for milk and had no other acidic ingredient, then the leavening agent was likely just baking powder. By using buttermilk instead - you create a problem with how the cake rises and the texture and sometimes even the taste. If there was both baking powder and soda then the  results wouldn't be quite as bad although the amount of baking soda wouldn't be enough to get best results. You cannot just switch out buttermilk for milk or shortening for butter or vice versa.

Cakemom21 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 12

SquirrellyCakes- My pans are 2" deep. The pans were overfilled a bit. The center came out clean on the toothpick. I did bake at 350 degrees (which I normally bake at 325 but the recipe notes said to bake at 350) The pans did feel pretty hot after 15 minutes of being on the rack. There is baking powder and baking soda in the recipe. 

The options are from the recipe, you can use Milk or Buttermilk, and then butter or shortening, but it doesn't make changes to the recipe to account for  which milk you use, not that I read, and I read the whole thing (20 pages).

My second attempt I used whole milk, and shortening in the recipe. I also used parchment paper in the pans and they didn't stick like the first attempt.  I also didn't overfill the pan. Next time I will bake at 325. I guess I will be using parchment until I can find out why this happened.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 12

If the recipe had both the powder and the soda, then it should have accommodated using either kind of milk although sometimes there would either not be soda or a fair bit less soda in a cake without acidic ingredients and more soda in a cake with acidic ingredients. I asked because the cake rose strangely. But if the recipe had around 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of soda then it would work for either. I think the strange rise was from too much batter in the pan.

Most cakes bake at 350F - that is pretty standard unless you have a deep or large pan. It shouldn't have made a difference.

I tend to line pans with parchment paper if I try a new recipe just so I don't have to worry about the cake sticking. Some recipes do stick but usually the instructions would tell you to line the pan.

If I get a cake that won't come out of the pan and it is a pan that cannot be lined- like a fancy bundt pan - sticking the cool cake in the freezer and letting it freeze sometimes lets me get the cake out in one piece.

Here is a thought - I find that most recipes work best for 8" or 9" pans and sometimes don't work as well with the small or extremely large pans. Most recipes were not designed for them. If you think about it likely there was good reason why for many years other than for commercial bakeries - pans were 8 and 9 inch or 9x13".

I make Elisa Strauss' chocolate cake recipe from "Confetti Cakes". She calls for three 9" pans or a half sheet or cupcake tins. I made it in two 6" and a half ball pan using recommended batter amounts. It rose very high in the middle and cracked. Still tasted good with good moist texture but a lot of waste levelling it. Yet when I divide it among three pans of 9" each, it is fine and just slightly round. I have baked it in large round pans before with that same issue.

So I wonder if your results would be better in 8 or 9 " pans. It would be a good test.

I know how frustrating it can be to make a recipe and have it stick like that.

Cakemom21 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 12

I will try again next week, and I'll use 8" pans. I tried the buttermilk "version" because I had buttermilk on hand. I am actually try both cakes in a bit to compare tastes. The recipe calls for 3 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 + 1/8 tsp baking soda. I think (I know) I overfilled the pans a bit. The second test run came out better, (using whole milk and shortening). Next week I will try whole milk, and shortening and then whole milk and butter. I will use 8" pans. We'll see how that comes out. I will also use my cake release on one and then with parchment on my prepared pan on the other.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 12

How much batter does this recipe make? Seems like a lot of leavening.

Cakemom21 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 12

Sorry I wasn't able to get on CC, anyway I did not measure or weigh the batter but it says it makes 2lbs 9oz of batter. I had enough to fill (or overfill) 2-4" pans, and 2- 6" pans, and had maybe 1/8 cup left in the bowl. She does have a chart for batter amounts, but of course I did not use it. It says the 4" pan should have 5 oz of batter and the 6" cakes should have 14.5 oz. I will weigh the batter for the pans when I do it again next week. I thought it sounded like a lot of baking powder but I am fairly new to "scratch" cakes. I used to use mixes when I decorated years ago.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 12

I think it makes about 6 - 6 1/2 cups of batter by displacement measure. It does seem like a lot of leavening for the amount of batter compared to a lot of other recipes.

Cakemom21 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 12:23am
post #12 of 12

Well I just tried them (both versions) and they are very good. I like the one with the buttermilk and butter a little more, but it might be the butter that gets me. I'll try it next week, and update.

Quote by @%username% on %date%