Indydebi - About Your Icing...

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 3:17pm by sparkledee3

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 21

For the first time I tried your icing  and used whipping cream instead of milk just because I always do. I am sure it is good with milk too.  Used three tablespoons of clear vanilla - Wilton brand which is pretty close to real vanilla now- surprisingly. Used high ratio shortening. Ended up with 3 1/2 cups.

Just wanted to say that it is the first time I have made an all shortening icing that I actually like. It tastes almost exactly like a bakery icing I remember as a child. Feels like it will be easy to work with too. 

Now I know why it is so popular and I will be using it any time I need a warm weather icing or a pure white. It almost tastes marsmallowy so I can see why people like it with marshmallow fondant.

Thanks.

20 replies
sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 21

I'm so happy to see this post this morning Squirrelly! I made it too last night following the recipe exactly but making half a batch to test it. Creamy, smooth and a dream to ice and pipe on my cupcakes. My dilemma is finding a flavoring without a chemical aftertaste! Or, maybe its the Watkins Butter flavor that's doing it. I added Wilton clear vanilla, some good vanilla bean paste (just a bit and it didn't tint it at all) and the butter flavor. I would love it to taste a bit buttery, but this wasn't a good batch at all flavor wise! I'm going to try it with some butter in it today, frost a cupcake and pipe some on and let it sit out for a few hours and see how it does!

I will try 3 Tbs of the Wilton clear vanilla in a whole recipe as you did. I just wasn't sure how long or at what speed to mix it at once all the powdered sugar was in the bowl.  

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 21

I found it needs the full 3 tablespoons of clear vanilla. Just mix it at a speed where the powdered sugar won't make a mess of your kitchen. Once the sugar is in and you add the milk, mix at 6-8 for as long as you need to. I didn't mix it for too long as it was nice and fluffy. I use unwhipped whipping cream instead of milk.

sparkledee3 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 5:05am
post #4 of 21

Did you still use the dream whip with the whipping cream?

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 5:49am
post #5 of 21

Isn't it an awesome recipe? 

It's my new fave bakery style super sweet icing!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 11:04am
post #6 of 21

sparkledee3, the Dream Whip seems to be used as the stabilizer so you always use it. I think it is also for taste too since it does make the icing taste like Dream Whip.

I use the cream in place of the milk in the recipe. I let the icing sit on the counter at room temperature of 70F overnight and didn't have to re-whip it to use.

mccantsbakes - it is now my favourite non- butter, high heat recipe. Seems easy to pipe with so far too.

sparkledee3 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 11:14am
post #7 of 21

I did 2 batches tonight. One looked airy and the other perfectly smooth. Not sure what the difference could be! Both piped great. I did notice that when I remixed the airy batch it got smoother. Mixed it in low.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 21

It is best to make two batches at one time so that the paddle attachment is covered- you get less of the air bubbles. I start on low until all of the powdered sugar is added and then go to 6-8 speed just until well incorporated. But I have also re- mixed a couple of batches together with no problems. Isn't today the baby shower? 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 12:34am
post #9 of 21

This icing held up well today in 89%F humid weather outside in a park. The taste was also a hit. Additionally, to a single recipe batch I added 1/3 cup of cocoa, sifted mixed in with the powdered sugar and used it as a filling in one cake. It was also good. I did send a message to Indydebi thanking her for sharing this recipe.

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 21
sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 21
sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 21
sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 21

My picture and post isn't showing up for some reason. I'll see if this one does.

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 21

55b54774435aa.jpeg55b547752a10c.jpeg

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 21

I have no idea why my photos don't post right side up!

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 21

55b5488498475.jpeg

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 21

Tried it again and it's still sideways. Oh well! When I get home I will tell you all about it (will be easier for me to type on the computer at home than on this phone.)

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 9:33pm
post #18 of 21

I love indydebi's icing recipe. I made mine this weekend with 1 cup of butter and 1/3cup of shortening. It was a filling and was refrigerated, but it's nice to be able to use butter. I added 6oz of white chocolate chips + 2 tsp of raspberry flavoring to it and it was really yummy! I thought the Watkins brand of raspberry was nasty so I put the chips in to cover it up, but everyone loved it. Said it tasted like those vanilla swirl candies with a hint of fruitiness.

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 11:06pm
post #19 of 21

I love the recipe too. I'm going to play around with it too and try it with some butter. I find raspberry filling a tough one to find a balance with sweet and tart from the raspberries. I get it too sweet or too tart! Yesterday I gave up with homemade and strained the seeds out of raspberry preserves. It was like a thick syrup then folded in cool whip of all things. Needed something to hold up. Everyone loved it. I have not had cool whip on my house on 18 years! 

sparkledee3 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 21

"In"  (I wish there was an Edit feature for our posts)

sparkledee3 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 3:17pm
post #21 of 21

@SquirrellyCakes  I posted pics for you to see under the post "indydebi-about your icing..." but they posted sideways and I was having a terrible time posting anything yesterday. Not sure if you saw them or not.

Beginner's nervousness and working down to the last minute - I forgot to pipe the flowers on where the buggy hood meets the body! Ugh... But my DIL LOVED it and thats what really counts. And the cupcakes tasted great. (went with the WASC recipe after all that testing!)

Well, for the first time ever doing anything like this and having never even picked up a decorating bag or used any tips, I was mostly pleased to get something even remotely close to the picture. I had tons of fun (and stress) and learned ALOT!!  Will continue learning, taking classes and doing this as a hobby. I will be excited to see where I'm at a year from now and look back on that first cupcake photo! LOL

I can't thank you and everyone else here for all your time and support. You answered my questions all the way and really without that kind of support I think I would have just called a bakery in the end.

The thing I tried to practice the most was the hood shape. I took pictures at home and never even thought to look on my camera there. Next time, (if ever there is one) I will make myself a note to check my  pictures on my phone. I just set it up by memory. The whole thing looked much more balanced in person than in the photos I posted yesterday. I thought the original picture looked way unproportioned too, but I can see the camera angle has a lot to do with that.

Thanks again! xoxo 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%