Freezing Recommendations For 3D Bear Cake

Decorating By honeybee22 Updated 23 Jul 2015 , 5:45am by honeybee22

honeybee22 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 4:24am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,  I'm a newbie to baking and am needing some help.  I'm going to be baking a 3d bear cake for a relative.  Since I've not used this type of pan before,  I want to try baking it tomorrow,  which is Thursday.  The cake is needed for this coming Saturday.  Do I need to freeze it or would it still be fresh if I just wrap it and store on counter?

I will decorate on Friday. The cake is a combo of pound cake and strawberry box mix.

If I freeze, do I need to wrap cake, then put it back in pan and then place all in freezer?  Will the plastic wrap stick to the when I unwrap it?

3 replies
honeybee22 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 4:29am
post #2 of 4

Sorry typo in last sentence ..."Will the plastic wrap stick to the cake when I unwrap it?"  I'm wondering if I need to take any precautions to prevent any cake from sticking to the plastic wrap. I live in Texas where it's  hot and humid right now. 

kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 4:45am
post #3 of 4

You can either leave it at room temp - in a plastic bag or wrapped in plastic wrap but..... that will mean that any leftovers won't be fresh after the party.   It is best to go ahead freeze it after wrapping in a plastic bag or cling film.  The cake should not stick to the wrapping, but if there is some sticking, just very gently peel off the wrapping so as not to tear any cake off. 

I have heard it said to sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar to prevent sticking but then you are adding more sugar to an already sweet cake and sometimes powdered sugar tends to turn moist and sticky :(  I've had very little problems with it sticking to plastic bags.  So get it into the fzr now and remove it to the frig tomorrow night then to counter early Sat a.m.  

honeybee22 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 5:45am
post #4 of 4

Thank you. I'll be decorating it on Friday later in the evening, so it would be in the freezer for overnight. I'm thinking I can pull it out early Friday and give it time to thaw properly. Then decorate lAyer as son as i can.  I've never frozen a cake so I'm nervous, but it looks like that is best option to bake it a little early. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%