Royal Icing Troubles

Decorating By Amuyaa Updated 25 Jul 2015 , 6:11pm by Amuyaa

Amuyaa Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 3:01am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I've only just started working with royal icing and ran in to a bit of trouble. I'll attach pics to better show what happened.

I did my first set of flowers immediately after making my icing. I had no room to pipe out the rest so I put the left over icing in to a bowl, covered with a damp towel and left on the counter until several hours later when the first batch of flowers had dried.

I quickly whipped the icing up (maybe 2-3mins using a hand mixer), and started making flowers...that started to "melt"?

Not too sure what happened, the temp in the room was the same for the first set of flowers, I tried leaving the icing bag in the fridge to stiffen it up, but it just slowed the "melting" issue.

Any and all help/tips are appreciated, if you need more details let me know!

Thank you!

Normal flowers

Melty flowers

3 replies
SweetShop5 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 4:17am
post #2 of 4

By the looks of it, it seems to be very liquid, have you tried adding icing sugar so it stiffens up more?  Usually solves my problems when the royal icing is liquid.

kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 4:29am
post #3 of 4

I know most people tell you to cover royal with a damp cloth found out the hard way what happens when one does that! :(   You can try whipping it with a bit more meringue powder &/or powdered sugar to bring it back to the right consistency.

In the future instead of using a damp cloth, cover it with plastic wrap - right down touching the top of the icing - then cover the bowl with another layer of plastic wrap/cling film.

Amuyaa Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 4

Ah hah! Thank you both very much! I did at one point try adding a bit more icing sugar, it helped some but also made the colour lighter.

I will use the plastic wrap method next time.

Thanks again. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%