Stacking A Rosette Cake.

Decorating By AmberDSouthard Updated 23 Jul 2015 , 9:48pm by AmberDSouthard

AmberDSouthard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberDSouthard Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 1:52am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I am going to be making a 3 tier cake that has red rosettes covering the bottom tier then a white buttercream quilted tier on top of that. My question is how would I go about stacking this? The customer will be picking up the cake and I am concerned if I cover the bottom tier with rosettes then stack I will ruin the rosettes on the top of bottom tier, but if I stack then finish the rosettes on top of bottom tier I might get red icing on middle tier! Please help!!!

7 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think we understand your question. If you stack a cake on top of another cake that has rosettes on top - the rosettes are going to be damaged where the other cake sits.

I don't understand what you mean about stacking and then doing the rosettes on top. Do you mean around where the upper tier sits? 

Why not mark on the icing of the bottom tier - where the upper tier is going to sit and just start the rosettes from there Overlapping the marked area slightly so that when  you put the upper tier on top of the bottom one - it will look like the rosettes continued underneath the upper tier?

AmberDSouthard Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry if I wasn't clear about my question, I was confused myself how to word it. However, you answered my question perfectly with your idea of marking the icing...brilliant! Thank you! I apologize again for the confusion.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 8

I would just stack them and then pipe the rosettes. It's too difficult to pipe the rosettes and then leave a circle for the next tier without having a gap that looks odd or squashed rosettes. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, and the icing shouldn't "leak" into the white. I've used red and pink to write on white or pipe details and it never leaked. 

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 8

I did this cake a few weeks ago, and I stacked first, then did the rosettes. I didn't add rosettes to the top of the tiers, but it would be the same concept. If you do the rosettes prior to stacking, you will either squish them all when you add the next tier, or that next tier would need to be elevated. 

55b15d3ac9aa4.jpeg

AmberDSouthard Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome, thank you all! Melmar02 your cake is beautiful and the bottom 2 tiers are exactly what I need to do. Wasn't sure how it would look if I didn't pipe rosettes on top but it looks great!!!

AmberDSouthard Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 8

Another quick question...Melmar, did you use crusting or non-crusting buttercream for your rosettes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%